Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Had a wakeup call on getting some repair work done on my 57

Member #:1723
    Quote Originally Posted by Tabasco View Post
    If you have Vintage Air you can go to their website and click on "distributors". They tell if they are stocking, installer, or assistance. One of them might be able to help with the air.
    Hi Tabasco,
    I checked VA's site, and it is pretty slim pickins in Colorado. There was one shop that provides assistance that is somewhat in my vicinity and is a possible, but it is 45 miles away on the other side of downtown Denver. The shop sounded interesting regardless, so am glad that you started me down the path of knowing this shop even existed. I hope the local shop that I will see this Tuesday can get the job(s) done.
    Thanks, Doug

Registered Member

Member #:571
    There is really nothing special about a VA system relative to systems on other cars except that it fits your car. So anyone that's skilled with automotive a/c should be able to work on it.

Member #:3249
    Rick is right. If you buy the kit and follow the instructions step by step, you can install it yourself. Then just take it to any shop that services A/C. They can evacuate the system, test it and charge it and you are done. I've done 4 of them so far, and, whenever Vintage Air ships the kit, I'll be helping my son-in-law do one in his 67 Chevelle.
    It's kind of like AAW wiring kits, I've done a few. Didn't know what I was doing the first time, either, but followed the instructions step by step, and got it done. I have called tech support for both companies, and got the info I needed. The satisfaction of knowing you did it yourself is a great feeling. If I can do it, anyone can.

Member #:1723
    Thanks guys,
    Good to hear. I too experienced wiring up the AAW kit for the first time, and installing the Vintage Air system. I take the car to the shop tomorrow, so hoping for the best. My biggest concern has been a leak - that I might have tightened the fittings too much, and that they can be a bear to access. Instructions on tightening were sketchy at best.
    Thanks, Doug

Member #:3217
    I didn't have the same positive experience in calling in to AAW... the fella was so rude and short with me, there's no way I'd call them again... (but maybe I just got their only A/H cust service rep?)... but that call has left me with a very negative impression of AAW as a company, regardless of the quality/value of their wiring kits!
    Last edited by BamaNomad; 02-28-2022 at 08:28 AM.

Member #:3249
    Gary, I had just the opposite experience with AAW on my first install. The guy I spoke to was polite. He listened to my tale of woe and walked me thru it. I apologized for asking what turned out to be dumb question, and he told me not to worry about it. He said they are used to questions from the first timers, and that it gets easier as you do more.

Registered Member

Member #:571
    I questioned something AAW was doing on a forum once, and the rep really got defensive and hostile. As long as you worship what they say, they'll be nice to you. They are "my way or the highway" types.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12