Just joined? Please introduce yourself.

Thread: Looking for a bellhousing

Member #:4862

Looking for a bellhousing

I have a 57 Chevy 3200 PU and am replacing the inline-6 235 with a 350 SB. I am keeping the GM431 3-speed transmission, but am having a hard time finding the proper bellhousing as the old bellhousing is too small. The crossmember cradles the bellhousing as can be seen in the photos. I also added a photo of the old bellhousing with the mounts attached. The closest I have found so far is southwest speed, but I don't think those will work either. Any advice before I use a different style and custom fabricate a bracket?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Member #:3217
    This item on ebay is apparently what you need... Maybe someone here has one for a better price though? Depending on where you are, shipping costs might be significant based on the heavy weight...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/27517208776...EAAOSwk-JiDoyk

I've had those before, but not sure if I still do....

Member #:3217
    I thought I might have one in my basement garage, but I just took a look and I don't now...

Registered Member

Member #:625
    I believe you can use one from a truck as new as 1972, they are readily available.

Thanks

I appreciate the info and for pointing me in the right direction!!

Registered Member

Member #:571
    I used to see a lot of these at swapmeets. May still. They look somewhat similar to a 55-57 passenger car bellhousing and many were bought mistakenly - and brought back to the swapmeets to sell again.
    Last edited by Rick_L; 02-28-2022 at 12:13 PM.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rick_L View Post
    I used to see a lot of these at swapmeets. May still. They look somewhat similar to a 55-57 passenger car bellhousing and many were bought mistakenly - and brought back to the swapmeets to sell.
    Correct one 7/16 N/C hole in middle instead of two 3/8 N/C holes like pass. car. Maybe the one hole is 1/2 , its been a while.

yes - single hole with a nub on the face as well. The ebay post picture looks correct but the housing number does not match what they wrote in the post. The casting shows 3733373, but I can't find anything else on that number when I search it. Looks correct though.

Registered Member

These bellhousings should be available at affordable prices, I actually have one but it has the clutch fork on the pass. side.

Registered Member

Member #:571
    I would speculate that there is more than one bellhousing casting number that works. But I don't know that for sure.