Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Alignment results - Watchu think?

Member #:1723
    Excellent! Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Belair-o View Post
    Thanks for the replies! I was at the shop doing other work on the car yesterday and checked out the bolts that attach the upper control arms to the frame. The alignment tech was correct, couldn't have added any more shims and secured the nuts properly. But, I don't see why I couldn't swap in longer bolts, add another shim, and have the nuts fully on. Thoughts? Thanks, Doug
    Rick_L responded, the idea of swapping in longer bolts is correct. I think the OEM bolts are knurled on the shank near the head. I have looked, and can't find a source for knurled Grade 8 7/16-20 2-3/4 bolts. I have assumed the knurling is required, so the bolt fits snug in the hole in the frame, but maybe not?

Registered Member

Member #:571
    Depends on a couple of things. If you have aftermarket upper control arms you might be able to get a wrench on the bolt head. Also you could tack weld the bolt head to the frame.

Hi Rick,
    I will look at access to the bolt head when I get the car back. The tack the bolt head to the frame sounds like a reasonable workaround.
    Thanks, Doug

Registered Member

Member #:625
    My aftermarket uppers came with grade 8 bolts, I reused the oem knurled ones.

Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    My aftermarket uppers came with grade 8 bolts, I reused the oem knurled ones.
    Hi Mark,
    So in your case, the needed number of shims must have left enough threads on the bolts to securely attach the nuts, different than my situation. Or maybe not. Those control arm attachment nuts that were originally on the car when I bought it were really long, like ~3/4" or so. Maybe the alignment tech saw he was running out of threads for those long nuts, and took what he saw as the safe way. When I get the car back, I will see if I can put normal height nuts on, add a shim, and fully thread on the nuts.
    Thanks, Doug

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12