Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alignment results - Watchu think?

Member #:1723

Alignment results - Watchu think?

After replacing the faulty CPP steering box on my 57, I drove it to an alignment shop that was willing to work on my car - hard to find shops that will touch a car that uses shims. When I rebuilt the front suspension/steering, I didn't put any shims in, and had replaced the upper control arms with CPP additional caster versions and had only set the toe-in to be close.

Following is a sheet showing Rick_L's recommended alignment specs at the top (I provided the specs to the guy doing the work, who BTW said he had a '66 C10, so was well experienced with shimmed alignments), below those target specs is a listing of the results:
    Actual specs summary2.jpg

The tech said he tried to get the 4-5 degrees positive caster and got as much as he could by stacking shims in while still being able to get the nut on the bolt for the control arm.

After the alignment, I just drove it a mile back to the shop working on some other mechanical items, so don't know how it steers on the highway. What do you think about the results? If no bueno, I am not sure what can be done to push the specs further.
    Thanks, Doug

Registered Member

Member #:625
    What are you using for control arms.

Hi Mark,
    The lowers are original, the upper control arms are CPP added caster versions.
    Regards, Doug

Registered Member

Member #:571
    Looks pretty darned good.

The only thing I'd add as a goal is to have 1/4° more caster on the passenger side. This would compensate for the typical crown in the road.

Hi Rick,
    Thanks for the input. I was pretty pleased with how the car handled as I drove it to town pre-alignment and am looking forward to getting the car back to do some comparison highway driving. Maybe the combination of a totally rebuilt frontend & totally new steering everything, radial tires, thick sway bar done good.
    Thanks, Doug

Registered Member

Member #:625
    Quote Originally Posted by Belair-o View Post
    Hi Mark,
    The lowers are original, the upper control arms are CPP added caster versions.
    Regards, Doug
    I have same parts, but do not recall as good of results.

Member #:3217
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I have same parts, but do not recall as good of results.
    As do I in my '56 Nomad, but we barely got the caster to ~ 1.5 deg...

Banned

Member #:2775
    For comparison I just checked the results of the alignment recently done on my C4 suspension, and it drives like it's on rails.
    Left caster 5.2 degrees
    Right Caster 6.1 degrees

Thanks for the replies! I was at the shop doing other work on the car yesterday and checked out the bolts that attach the upper control arms to the frame. The alignment tech was correct, couldn't have added any more shims and secured the nuts properly. But, I don't see why I couldn't swap in longer bolts, add another shim, and have the nuts fully on. Thoughts? Thanks, Doug

Registered Member

Member #:571
    That would be correct.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast