Just joined? Please introduce yourself.

Thread: I can see clearly now ...

Member #:1723

I can see clearly now ...

For my Chevy, I decided to upgrade to a wider inside day/night rear view mirror, so some time ago, I purchased this setup to attach to the OEM mirror bracket:
    MirrorOrig.jpg

The curved adaptor didn't clamp up well to the mirror, so messed around to get it to fit better, and shortened the screw that attaches the mirror to the adaptor, so it didn't extend beyond the adaptor. I attach it all to the OEM mirror bracket, and see the mirror bounces around like crazy because it is so poorly built - the stud on the back of the mirror wiggles around. Drat.

I found the mirror shown below on eBay, and after exchanging messages with the seller, I figure it is worth a shot (good guy). I will retain the day/night option, I will give up a bit in width over the shaky mirror (8-5/8" vs. 10"):
    New mirror.jpg

I like it - no muss, no fuss, and no shakes!
    8.5.8vs10 mirror.jpg

Member #:530
    That looks like a winner to me. Bit dont spend too much time looking in the rearview mirror. Drop that hood and drive it!
    1957 Nomad- LS1/T56 on C4 chassis
    1959 Fleetside Apache 1/2 ton, shortbed, big window, 327ci.

Quote Originally Posted by WagonCrazy View Post
    That looks like a winner to me. Bit dont spend too much time looking in the rearview mirror. Drop that hood and drive it!
    WUT, WAIT! You mean I've been doing this wrong all this time? I thought I was supposed to leave the hood up to help cool the motor and drive in reverse! That was why the rear view mirror was so critical. All this time I thought people staring and pointing at me as I drove just liked the car!

Drive Your Cars Now

Quote Originally Posted by WagonCrazy View Post
    These guys share your sentiment!
    https://apple.news/AFF8VntO2SIO-mPYxfqWKqw

Member #:3217
    Good article Doug! (maybe the best C&D article ever..

although I've not been a C&D fan, since I first realized they mostly pushed foreign cars and criticized domestics...

Registered Member

Member #:625
    I have never followed Car and Driver, I always felt they were anti-American car. Decent read.

Banned

Member #:2775
    I put on a wider 12in mirror glued to the top of the windshield. Wanted to see more so I use a clip-on panoramic wide-angle mirror on top of it. It wiggles a little, but I can see all across the back and even out the quarter windows. I don't need or want side mirrors, but I did add a clamp-on 4in convex peep mirror at the top of the door to see down the left side of the car and the blind spot my head makes in the wide-angle mirror. I don't need a backup camera.
    Last edited by 55 Rescue Dog; 03-20-2022 at 03:35 PM.

Bama & Mark,
    As Hot Rod & Car Craft readers, during study hall in Jr. High, a buddy and I used to talk & plan about what we would do to a 57 Chevy when we eventually each got one. We both eventually did (and raced each other). I got my first car, a 57 Chevy post back around 1970, and loved it. I steadily repaired it, hot rodded it, learned a lot, and had fun with it. Later, my brother-in-law started subscribing to C&D, and I started reading it. I enjoyed the humor, and performance driving perspective. After a while, I started lusting after a MGB-GT, sold my 57, got a 72 BGT, and got a huge kick out of driving that car. I immediately regretted selling my 57, kept my eye on it in hopes of eventually getting it back, but finally lost track of it. I always planned on getting a replacement 57, and finally did.

As I near completion of the loooong rebuild of my 57, I have thought about selling it while it is still fresh, and harvesting as much of my money out of it as I can. I will have completed the vision I had in mind when I started on the car. My short drives of late in the Chevy after the long hiatus have made me rethink that. It gives me joy to drive the car (a lot more interactive than my commuter cars have been), enjoy the view from the drivers seat, enjoy the sounds. Maybe when it is more dialed in, I will want to sell it, but likely not. I have scouted other cars to buy as a replacement, like FJ40's, classic VW bugs (had one of those), Gen1 Bronco's (had one of those), MG's, BMW 2002 (had one of those), for example. The prices of all are thru the roof (to me), and at my age, I don't want to get a project and undertake a complete rebuild of needy car that I can afford and justify buying.
    Regards, Doug