Just joined? Please introduce yourself.

Thread: new to your forum

Registered Member

Member #:4799

new to your forum

57 Chevy 3100 Stepside pickup. Back in "my day" in high school, I rode the step of a 55-58 pickup, back when you could legally have a "bobtail" milk route, which my boss had as a business for many years Covered the milk crates with a wet, dark wool blanket. Put each customer's order (by memory on the route) in the milk carrier, jumped off, and went to the house, back to the step and on to the next delivery. My boss was my mentor. Got my social security # and working papers in upstate N.Y. back then, and at age 14..when we delivered our second route after a morning break (5:00 a.m. to 9:45 (coffee and donuts) and he would take a "nap" on the second route and I actually was entrusted to drive and deliver on my own. Went my way in life later as we all do, but never forgot his kindness and his teaching.
    Last December I sold my '30 Model A Ford pickup I restored over three years of shop work at home, (have restored for 30 plus years) Farmall tractors (5 cubs), Cub Kadets, etc. and sold my 46 Ford Businessman's Coupe, to get the funds to purchase a very correct (Hershey 1st. Junior Award) pickup...RED..just like the one we delivered milk in the day. Respect, and memory, for the man who had passed on. My last "hooorah" vehicle..except for the 55 Crown Vic Ford I restored.
    Truck came out of Fla. was in storage a long time, used very very little. parade or two..photo shoot for charity. That's about it. In a storage shed. Truck was very dried out, lube-wise, cleaned, polished and waxed to remove all residue of "salty condensation" from the seashore (seller's home on the waterfront in Fla.) and everything good to go.
    I THOUGHT:

The truck had a slight "ticking" that bothered me..was advised by another restorer to put some "Seafoam in her" most likely a valve sticking. Took the advice. Put the suggested amount in the gas tank. Truck settled down in about ten minutes. I was pleased. Put her back in the garage. Shut her down. I went back out an hour later, just
    to convince myself all was okay now? Hit the starter and the battery discharged hard on the gauges..growned, like it was almost dead..short grunts and quit. Truck would
    not turn over more that about one or two revolutions. Checked the battery. All lights, etc. functioned well. Battery at twelve plus volts on meter. The truck will NOT start, or turn over. Ran great an hour before. Now? Sounds like the engine is seized..or something. Can't figure it out. Read the whole d***ned service manual for 57 pickup/trucks, and only came up with: Battery sulphated? Starter seizing, or locking up tight? It showed charging when at idle in the driveway. At a loss for what to begin here.
    I could use advice, for sure. Thanks for reading if you have had time, my introduction...and problem. John "milkman" here on your forumn. Thank you for any advice someone might give me.

Member #:3249
    If it were me, I think I'd first check the starter. If starter is good, I think I'd pull the plugs and try to turn over the motor by hand. I'm sure other, more knowledgeable people will chime in too. Keep us posted on results, but I think your starter is the problem.

Registered Member

Member #:571
    Before checking the starter, check the battery.

Member #:3249
    good point, but he said battery has 12 volts plus..........I see your point. What does it have when you turn the key?

Registered Member

Member #:4799
    Thanks to all replies. Will update after battery professionally checked today. Was advised should have more than 12 volts, i.e., up to 14... so I'll learn what's up and advise. I trickle charged the battery last night 5 hours. It started today.. let her sit an hour, started again..ran well. Truck is new to me. Sat in storage a long time, used very seldom. Possible sulphated battery I'm told. Will let you know and thanks again.

Member #:1723
    Hi Milkman!
    Welcome to the site! You gave up a lot of good sounding iron to get your PU, which sounds fabulous (especially in light of the story you related on your early experience delivering milk). Nice that the issues with your new purchase have been fairly minor, and solvable without a lot of work. Looking forward to seeing your truck!
    Regards, Doug

Member #:3217
    Welcome to TriFive Chevys, Milkman! I remember very well getting our milk delivered each morning... I don't know if that still happens today in some places or not?

PS. Some of the small inexpensive maintainer chargers (such as the GOCO 1) are advertised as addressing battery sufphating also..
    Last edited by BamaNomad; 04-30-2022 at 05:31 AM.

Member #:530
    Welcome to TriFiveChevys. Let's see a pic or 2 of that truck!
    1957 Nomad- LS1/T56 on C4 chassis
    1959 Fleetside Apache 1/2 ton, shortbed, big window, 327ci.