Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1957 two tone combination needs a " D " in the cowl trim tag

Registered Member

Member #:3799

1957 two tone combination needs a " D " in the cowl trim tag

I am going to have a new cowl tag made for my 1957 Nomad . The car was originally "India Ivory " on the upper body " roof " and "Canyon Coral " on the lower Body . My original Tag reads for the paint code 817D . My understanding is that the "D" is for two tone . Being that this original tag I have has never been messed with , I believe that the paint code for my new tag should read : 811D for 'India Ivory " for the upper body and Tropical Turquoise for the lower body. Looking at my original tag their is no " - D " just "D" any help would be greatly appreciated . When you look in the back of a Danchuck parts book under two tone paint combinations , every two tone color code number should have a " D " after the paint number for two tone . In my opinion just using the color code 811 without the "D" would be wrong . Bama are you still out their ?
    Last edited by nomad; 04-06-2022 at 09:00 AM.

Member #:3217
    Domenic,

My turq/ivory 57 Nomad has 811D for it's paint code...

If you DO decide to modify your Nomad's birth certificate, then make sure you maintain the CL body number from your original cowl tag. You didn't ask about the interior code but a turq/ivory interior is 694. This month's Nomad Post magazine has a reprint of an old Nomad News article listing all the Nomad codes for all three years. You do know you can change to another original color (which you're doing) without removing the manufacturer's body plate?? I know of no judging organization which judges the paint/interior codes currently!

PS. I think I recall that you painted your car's dash black? All turquoise/ivory 57 Nomads I've seen over the years (hundreds) had the dash turquoise. In fact, I think all Nomad dashes were painted the color of the lower body... Does anyone know of an exception to that rule?

Registered Member

Bama , you are 100% correct I have never seen a 1957 Chevrolet "Belair " in Tropical Turquoise with a Black dash board , and a silver gauge cluster . I am not interested in showing the car , those days are behind me . I am interested in the letters used following the paint code number on the Cowl tags . I have not found a source to find a breakdown of these " letters' used following the paint code number . On my original tag it has a "D" and someone on the 57 Chevrolet lovers forum said it meant two tone . If you go on E-Bay right now they have the nicest original 1957 Chevrolet " 210 " 4 door wagon in Tropical Turquoise with the White roof you will probably ever see , and it has the awards to go with it . The 811 on the cowl tag for the Tropical Turquoise with a White roof on this 210 wagon has a " C " after the 811 . Dose anybody know the break down of these letters following the paint number .
    Last edited by nomad; 04-07-2022 at 06:32 AM.

Nomad,

In regards to the 'letters' on the cowl plate, their usage seems to vary a bit by the specific Fisher Plant. Since all Nomad bodys were built at the Cleveland Fisher plant, there is likely more consistency with these, and all my Nomad information shows the two tone Nomads with the letter D appending the paint code.

Since you are not planning to SHOW your Nomad when finished WHY are you changing the cowl plate?? This change will contaminate your Nomad's history forevermore... for no real purpose!

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by BamaNomad View Post
    Nomad,

In regards to the 'letters' on the cowl plate, their usage seems to vary a bit by the specific Fisher Plant. Since all Nomad bodys were built at the Cleveland Fisher plant, there is likely more consistency with these, and all my Nomad information shows the two tone Nomads with the letter D appending the paint code.

Since you are not planning to SHOW your Nomad when finished WHY are you changing the cowl plate?? This change will contaminate your Nomad's history forevermore... for no real purpose!
    Bama , thank you for that information it is greatly appreciated . After talking to "Jhon Chambers "about a year ago about the cowl tag and him telling me that the judges are not really takin off points for a paint color change and that he would leave the original tag alone , I was going to leave it but my restorer friend Bob said that it would be a nice touch .

Dom,

I totally disagree with your restorer friend. I HATE seeing original manufacturer's information removed/destroyed/subverted. Even back in the days 80's - 90's when many people were restoring their classic chevys, the organizations judging the cars at that time CHANGED the judging rules to stop judging the cowl tag information because before that time, many people were changing the plates or installing 'so called' reproduction cowl tags on a whim or because they preferred one color over another, and sometimes simply due to a belief that a change of color would benefit them in the judging! After having gone thru that period of time, judging many years at nationals (Nomad nationals and CCCI nationals), I came to despise changing the manufacturer's plates, although I have no problem with someone who desires to change the Paint color or trim of their car to better suit themselves. Leaving the plate alone preserves the history and origin of the car to future owners who might want to know the *real history*...

No one can stop you if you do this, but please think about what it means...

Registered Member

Cowl Tag

Quote Originally Posted by BamaNomad View Post
    Dom,

I totally disagree with your restorer friend. I HATE seeing original manufacturer's information removed/destroyed/subverted. Even back in the days 80's - 90's when many people were restoring their classic chevys, the organizations judging the cars at that time CHANGED the judging rules to stop judging the cowl tag information because before that time, many people were changing the plates or installing 'so called' reproduction cowl tags on a whim or because they preferred one color over another, and sometimes simply due to a belief that a change of color would benefit them in the judging! After having gone thru that period of time, judging many years at nationals (Nomad nationals and CCCI nationals), I came to despise changing the manufacturer's plates, although I have no problem with someone who desires to change the Paint color or trim of their car to better suit themselves. Leaving the plate alone preserves the history and origin of the car to future owners who might want to know the *real history*...

No one can stop you if you do this, but please think about what it means...
    Bama , my original tag reads Style-57-1064DF Body CL 6274 Trim 691 Paint 817D ACC The new Reproduction cowl tag changes will be Trim 694 Paint 811D ACC EZI . Jhon Chamber's told me a couple years ago that 6534 Nomads were made in 1957 and they were still working on the 57 nomads into the early part of September to finish up the Nomad project . Mine is 260 cars from the end of the line approx.. August 28th 1957 . John Chamber's met the previous owner's and seen my Nomad at the Nomad nationals when it was "Canyon Coral " . The original Cowl Tag is in mint condition and will remain in safe keeping and one day will go to the next caretaker with the car when I go to the best Car Show in the sky .
    Last edited by nomad; 04-07-2022 at 04:37 PM.

Banned

Member #:2775
    And a lot of cars were dealer 2-toned after they were built, I think.

Registered Member

Member #:625
    Quote Originally Posted by 55 Rescue Dog View Post
    And a lot of cars were dealer 2-toned after they were built, I think.
    I have heard this one before.

that is true, but has nothing to do with the cowl tag labels placed in the fisher plants!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast