Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tell us about your project(s)...

Member #:3217

Tell us about your project(s)...

It seems forever since I made any progress on my 57 Nomad project and made a report here, but between being 'stuck' on several aspects of my project, and other vehicles suffering *issues* from just sitting and not being driven, And of course it gets more and more difficult getting off my duff and going to the garage, especially when there's so many problems that just deciding which one to work on is more than one wants to deal with!

Recently I've spent a lot of time replacing components in fuel systems with two of my older corvettes which don't get driven often enough. Starting out with a suspected bad fuel pump in my '69, necessitating removal of the AC compressor, and then deciding to do an update of all the rubber lines in the fuel system, and the engine compartment including radiator hoses, heater hoses, etc.. culminating in replacement of the fuel tank and associated parts back there. And then I began smelling gasoline in my shop (where my '72 corvette was parked (with it's hood being used as a 'table' for a few dozen small parts that I'd painted and were awaiting installation into the '57 Nomad. That one turned out to be the rubber fuel lines between the primary fuel line and the return line, to the pump. Also had to remove the AC compressor to even get to the fuel pump and fuel line connections. Got it all back together, pulled it outside to clean up the garage floor, and when it was ready to pull back into the cleaned spot, it wouldn't crank... even with adding fuel to the gas tank, charging the battery etc. I had to get my son in law to come over to help push it back into the garage (which is a slight grade uphill).

I've got new fuel injectors purchased a year ago for my older 1990 ZR1... but I've never had the plenum off of an LT5, so I've been putting that off.

2nd gear is still 'broken' in my '56 Nomad, and I can't get enough energy to go take the trans out and get it rebuilt (so I'll be driving my Colorado PU to Pigeon Forge next week)..

I can't get my head around the wiring update on my '57 Nomad, and I'm not happy with the brake line coming up to my distribution block at the MC, not happy with many other things that are 'supposedly' completed, but if I can't get the shortcomings out of my mind, then it isn't complete...

I'd rather just get online and read about other's issues, and hope that I might lend a hand to their solution.

But this website hasn't had an update in several days... Are all of you in the same/similar boat as I (covered up with probs?), or are you all out driving your classics?

Gary

Member #:3249
    Gary, I drove my 66 Chevelle to breakfast with the guys in our breakfast club last Wednesday, and to the appraiser's shop the week before. I drove my 56 to breakfast with a car club a week ago Sunday.

I have so many things to do, but can't get motivated. My wife passed away on 4-14, and I'm just totally lost. I have to get ready for the celebration of life service next Wednesday. This place has gone from a happy home to a big, empty house.
    Bill

Member #:1723
    Hi Bill,
    Glad your iron is getting some exercise!

So sorry for the understandable effects of your loss. Continued prayers for you. Doug

Member #:1723
    Gary,
    I made some progress on my 57, or rather a couple of shops did (some tuning tweaking, charge the AC system, fix leaks on the trany and differential, front end alignment). I thought I was ready to drive it more (which is a pretty low bar), but the morning after I got the car back in the shop, there was a large puddle of engine oil on the floor. The mechanic said a leak started while he had the car, he thought from a valve cover, so had tightened the nuts. Between arthritis pain in both thumbs (got cortisone shots yesterday), a new puppy (what was I thinking at this age?), and spring maintenance work on our place, and fighting a major change to our community by the HOA board, I haven't been motivated to search for the leak. It will be a while before I get/want to search for the oil leak and get the project advancing again.
    Regards, Doug

Member #:530
    Life just gets in the way sometimes. Same thing happening to me over here on the west coast. The trick is to prioritize and then "whack a mole" one task at a time each day.

Bill, sorry to hear that your wife passed. It is rough...my dad also passed in late Feb and feeling his loss a little each day. But it does eventually begin to clear out enough to start to focus again. Once you get past the service, maybe a few weeks later you will be able to recalibrate a bit. She would have wanted you to continue on with the other things you love to do. Try to think about it that way. Take care.
    Last edited by WagonCrazy; 05-11-2022 at 11:53 AM.
    1957 Nomad- LS1/T56 on C4 chassis
    1959 Fleetside Apache 1/2 ton, shortbed, big window, 327ci.

Registered Member

Member #:3682
    I put the 59 Corvette on hold for the month, needed to fix a few items on the 56 Chevy. The hood latch has been giving me problems and not latching. I removed it, and it was bound up. Seams the combination of new paint and no grease locked it up. I forgot to grease it when I assembled it, oops. With a little grease, it works fine now. Another problem I’ve had is one of the trunk lid upholstery inserts keeps coming loose. I finally took the time to completely clean the deck lid area and the leather insert, then applied a good 3M adhesive, and held it in place with a 2x4 while it dried. I think we’re good. We have a few other items to work before the show, but we’re getting there. To get a little road time, Sue and I took the 56 for a drive last weekend. We put about 100 miles on it, stopping for lunch. The 56 has about 1000 miles on it now.

Although we’re working on the 59 Corvette, I’m starting to accumulate parts for the next project, a 69 Camaro. I’ve had the car for some years, being a basket case when I bought it. I’ve ordered a GM LT4 connect & cruise kit, with a Tremec magnum 6-speed (what else?!). This is the supercharged 650hp motor. I’ve also ordered a Roadster Shop full frame chassis with a 3:70 31 spline 9 inch rearend. I’m finding delays from the manufacturers of up to 6 months, and it’s not just on the larger items, so I’m ordering other items now, too.

Member #:3217
    Thanks to all the folks providing an update the past couple of days; each time you post, it inspires the rest of us to 'get off our duff'... so each time you make a fix or an upgrade, make sure to 'update' the rest of us on your activity! Keep it up~

Member #:516
    Well my '55 hasn't gotten very far. My son finished welding the passenger side foot well, and has almost finished the drivers side, I might have to finish it myself. When that's done I can pull the frame out!!! I've almost got all of the front suspension parts blasted and painted, I just have the lower control arms left to do. I'm hoping that soon I'll get all four wheels on it!

Member #:4767
    Well; its been awhile since I've posted been busy on the old Chevy 210, but; I finally got the 350 small block & 350 Turbo Transmission pulled out also all the other parts, and have started on the body work/sanding. I have broken the 350 down in my spare time to just the crank & pistons and pulling them this weekend one piece @ a time I'll try and get some pics up soon.
    Last edited by 210Chevy; 06-16-2022 at 10:12 AM. Reason: added line
    24 Year Army Vet ... Very Proud of It...

Thank You!
    William

Member #:3249
    Well, Wagon Crazy is right. I got past the memorial service on May 18th. I didn't make too much of a fool of myself, but it was tough. We filled the chapel with friends. Bonnie would be/is proud of that.
    So, at the urging of friends, I'm registered for 5 shows this fall. Two are just local Tucson one day shows, but also heading to Silver City, NM in August...........it's cooler there. Also, registered for 2 Good Guys shows, Del Mar and Scottsdale (actually, Bonnie registered us for those last December). So far, four of us are heading to the Del Mar show, and at the urging of a friend, we're referring to it as the Bonnie Wivell Memorial Cruise. She loved that show. Maybe more will join up with us by the end of September.
    That said, a good friend who's an automotive electrical genius is coming over today to fix a couple of issues on the 56. The power door locks quit working on the way home from the Western Invasion. They unlock, but don't lock. The power trunk release isn't working since it came home from the body shop, there's a wire hanging down.
    Like Gary, I think we all may not be driving our cars as much as we should be, at $5.00 a gallon, I have a tendency to stay home more, combine trips, and save up for upcoming out of town trips.
    Bill

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast