Just joined? Please introduce yourself.

Thread: 57 3100 Stepside pickup

Registered Member

Member #:4799

Smile 57 3100 Stepside pickup

Old school history..bear with me. When I was in high school, back then you worked for a buck an hour, to save for a "car"!..nobody bought you one when you were 16. Times change. So I worked, and a man asked me do you want to help me on Saturdays, and five days a week in the summer? I run an independent milk route. I signed on in '55. Spring through winter, and all summer, through 1958. Red, stepside long bed, with a wet, wool blanket over the cold milk crates. Try that today. The old Dutchman got me my SSN, my working papers, and he told me to "drive" on the back country route while he took a nap..(We loaded at the dairy at 5: A.M.)..and I was only 14 years old. Let me use the truck to haul things, a rabbit hutch, I saw for sale, whatever. He was my mentor, a true dear friend, who passed on. I found a Red, 3100 V-8, step side 57 pickup, ground up restoration. Although I've restored several Fords and Chevys over my time..age 81 now, today in fact, I now have that pickup in the garage, ready for memory runs...and call me crazy, but sometimes reaching back in time is good for the soul. It is for me. Thanks for viewing my post. Oh...I sure would like to find a Rochester 2 JET Manual choke carb for the truck..seems only kits are available. I'm a body and detail guy, not good on much after a Model A Ford carb, or garden tractor. If you know of anyone who has one for sale, or a good rebuilder? Kindly let me know. Again, thanks for viewing my post. MILKMAN. Here? Or if permitted..to 87yeoman@comcast.net. Stay well. Be safe.

Member #:3217
    I enjoyed your post Milkman! I remember those days... getting milk delivered to our door *but never in a 'red 57 Chevy PU.. Finding your restored '57 red pu must make you feel great and young again! I think we all live to and love to relive our younger days, and having the 'right things' just makes it RIGHT!~

PS. The kits for adding manual choke are pretty simple... shouldn't be difficult to retrofit!

Member #:3249
    Cool story, Milkman!

Registered Member

Member #:4799
    Thanks...just wanted to share it on the forum. I appreciate that you understand and feel the same. Can't take it with you..but you can ENJOY it while you're here. Have a short question, maybe dumb. I restored older Chevys, Fords... but the 265 V8 in my 57 short bed has a Petronix ignition. The truck had very little miles, driven short trips for display or parade over about an eight year period. Had to "redo a lot of things that were frozen up" from sitting. Want to replace the plugs. They advise using the AC 45 with the petronix instead of the old 44. My question is: There are "R45's" very available, but not the straight 45. I presume the "R" stands for radio resistor. Would it be ok to use the R45 in my 365 V8? If you have a chance..let me know. Thanks again for the post. milkman.

Registered Member

Member #:625
    Spark plugs are not rocket science go for it.

Registered Member

Member #:2579
    yes, the R is for resistor.