Just joined? Please introduce yourself.

Thread: Outer bumper brackets for 1957 front ?bumper

Member #:3217

Outer bumper brackets for 1957 front ?bumper

I bought two pairs of bumper brackets over the last year for the outer front of '57 bumper. Unfortunately, only one pair of these is correct for a '57. The pair I purchased this weekend at Pigeon Forge is ~17" in length, whereas the pair I purchased previously via ebay is ~19.5" in length. The 17" long pair have part numbers 3734111-3734112 and appear to be correct. What is confusing me is the pair I purchased previously were supposed to be for '57 Front outer, but are 19.5" in length and other than length are made identically.

Does anyone have any idea what the longer pair will fit? I'm suspecting for a different year trifive? '55 maybe?

Member #:530
    Snapped a pic of the underside of my front bumper (57 nomad). Didn't measure the length though.
    IMG_7692.jpeg

Are you looking for another set of brackets? I may have some stashed in my shed...
    1957 Nomad- LS1/T56 on C4 chassis
    1959 Fleetside Apache 1/2 ton, shortbed, big window, 327ci.

Quote Originally Posted by WagonCrazy View Post
    Snapped a pic of the underside of my front bumper (57 nomad). Didn't measure the length though.
    57 frt bumper bracket needed.jpg

Are you looking for another set of brackets? I may have some stashed in my shed...
    Paul, yes, neither of the '57 Nomads I've purchased (in parts) had the outer front brackets; I've highlighted the ones I need for my 2nd Nomad. One pair I purchased via ebay is too long! the correct length is approx 17" in length...

Gary

Registered Member

Member #:1806
    Its not so noticeable on some, but almost all used 57 front fenders have been at least slightly tweaked by the bumper, so when buying the outer used brackets they may be bent. How much depends on how hard the love tap was, there was a lot of parallel parking back then. I noticed the latest repop fenders have a tweak in them also, they must have copied a used fender. The very first 57 repop fenders were perfect in that respect. The lighter taps are nothing most guys would even notice, just be aware of it when buying used parts. Bent brackets are common and can pull the bumper out of alignment, just depends on how badly bent.

You are right, Lee... after 65 yrs most of our cars have been in some kind of fender bender, which does all that you say. Many fenders are bowed over the wheel wells, both front and rear, and *most/many* bumper brackets have been bent or tweaked..