Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: TH350 removal from my '56 Nomad today

Member #:3217
    Richard and I are both USAF veterans... but we do try to help one another react to the call...

PS. We put the rebuilt trans back in on Saturday, but the torque converter still isn't bolted to the flexplate. The new torque converter did NOT have the captive/weldnuts... just HOLES. I've been trying since then to find appropriate high strength flanged bolts and nuts for retention. I just ordered bolts/nuts and will probably (maybe?) get them in a week ?

Registered Member

Member #:625
    I bought an assortment of converter bolts at an auction a few years back, I think I know where it is at.

Registered Member

Member #:3799

With a little help from my friend

Quote Originally Posted by BamaNomad View Post
    I'm with you Buster! After rolling the trans off my floor jack, and sliding the trans from under the car, Dick and I lifted it onto an old 'Honeys' creeper and rolled it out to the back of my truck, then we lifted it once more into the back of the truck. I did carry the 'full' converter out to my truck without much difficulty..

If I'd had more height in my shop I'd have installed a 2-post lift with 'overhead' connections, but one needs 12' or higher ceilings for that, so I had to opt for the cable cover on the floor between the posts, and that would have been a pain removing the transmission.

Richard and I got it done and my body pain from the 50 or so ups, downs, and unders had greatly alleviated by the next day!
    Both you guys are an inspiration . I remember with my 57 Hardtop with the original two speed power guild , there were different bolts between it and the ones the 57 turbo guild used . Also they added a vent to the tail in 1958 which prevents the car from dumping all the fluid out after sitting . Your modern turbo 350 trans . must go pretty good , and not rob any power like the old power guilds . Some one added a vent to my 57 power guild and it didn't leak for the short year or so the car was together .

Thanks for the compliment, Dom.... but I could do a LOT MORE as recently as 2 yrs ago... My body seems to be deteriorating rapidly at post-72 ...

Gary

Member #:3249
    Gary, we need to follow Clint Eastwood's theory.............."Keep the old man out".

Eastwood and Keith were playing golf and Toby asked Clint, “How do you remain so young and active?” It was the eve of Eastwood's 88th birthday. Clint replied, “I don't let the old man in.” Toby went home and wrote the now famous song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N87Jbgj-IT0

I've been trying, but he's wearing me down!

Last edited by BamaNomad; 06-20-2022 at 12:25 PM.

Lawnwork the last two days.. mowing, edging, weedeating, and blowing off the concrete.. but this afternoon I received the flanged bolts and nuts I ordered last week, so tonight installed them securing the torque converter to the flexplate and installed the dust shield. Tomorrow I'll try to add some fluid thru that #&$T*#T*T& lokar fill tube!

Member #:3249
    Progress! I won't be doing any mowing until we get some rain around here.

Member #:1723
    Hi Gary,
    I found a small diameter funnel and have had good success in filling fluid thru the Lokar trany filler tube. Can't go real fast, but can load up the funnel, let it leak down, and repeat. Just a thought.
    Regards, Doug

Registered Member

Member #:625
    Why do they make those tubes so small, I will not use one, my Th350 in my 56 had a 79 Z28 stick and my 700R4 has a 85 Caprice wagoon stick.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast