Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: TH350 removal from my '56 Nomad today

Member #:3217

TH350 removal from my '56 Nomad today

Finally, after more than a year of being 'broken', and with help from my friend, Trifive Richard, we removed the TH350 that has a stripped 2nd gear. I would be kicking the ass of the idiot who broke it but my leg doesn't have that many joints in it!

We began a bit after 9 this morning, and by 2:30 it was out! I had delayed the removal for a reason .. i knew the pain it was going to cause to my old 74 yr old body and I do hurt all over tonight!~ (Richard is also 74 and a few months older than I). We even took an hour for lunch, so I suppose it wasn't so bad for two old guys! (Thanks to Richard or it would still be in the car and I'd be lamenting how much it was going to hurt to remove it!~)..

Here it is after just dragging it out from under the car... (we did this on jackstands using two floor jacks)..
    IMG_0639.jpg

And here it is around 3:00 pm loaded up to go to the transmission shop for rebuild and 2nd gear replacement!
    IMG_0953.jpg
    Last edited by BamaNomad; 05-25-2022 at 05:24 PM.

Registered Member

Member #:3682
    We’ve done the easy part, Gary. We still have to get it back up and in place, bolted up, and everything connected! Lol

Member #:1723
    Progress! Congrats, guys!

Member #:530
    Bama...with all that cash you're so flush with...why don't you have a 2 post lift by now? You can stop laying on your back for another $4k outlay. Best addition Ive ever done in my garage.
    1957 Nomad- LS1/T56 on C4 chassis
    1959 Fleetside Apache 1/2 ton, shortbed, big window, 327ci.

Quote Originally Posted by WagonCrazy View Post
    Bama...with all that cash you're so flush with...why don't you have a 2 post lift by now? You can stop laying on your back for another $4k outlay. Best addition Ive ever done in my garage.
    Paul, you need better sources of information! *L* Since the last election and the 'falling stock market', my 'flush cash' (if I ever had any) has disappeared!

PS. I have a 2 post lift in my backyard garage, and it was a great help during my earlier work on the '57 Nomad lifting/lowering the body onto the chassis, but I was limited by the 10'4" ceiling height, so I had to go with one with the cables across the floor (under a plate), but unfortunately that plate is right where we'd need to work with the transmission (and I don't have enough height to stand up under the lift, and rolling around on the floor is greatly hampered by the floor plate... so I elected to go with my 'old standby' (the way I've always done transmission work on jack stands and using floor jacks!

Member #:3249
    Well, I'm 75 and I can remember changing transmissions laying on my back on concrete and dirt back in the day. I used to be able to pick up a transmission in my arms and walk it from my truck to a bench. Those are just memories now. If I have to do it today, it would be moved around with my engine hoist, and installed with a trans jack and my 4 post lift...........and I hope I don't have to even do that.

I'm with you Buster! After rolling the trans off my floor jack, and sliding the trans from under the car, Dick and I lifted it onto an old 'Honeys' creeper and rolled it out to the back of my truck, then we lifted it once more into the back of the truck. I did carry the 'full' converter out to my truck without much difficulty..

If I'd had more height in my shop I'd have installed a 2-post lift with 'overhead' connections, but one needs 12' or higher ceilings for that, so I had to opt for the cable cover on the floor between the posts, and that would have been a pain removing the transmission.

Richard and I got it done and my body pain from the 50 or so ups, downs, and unders had greatly alleviated by the next day!
    Last edited by BamaNomad; 05-27-2022 at 06:00 AM.

Member #:530
    When there's a will, there's a way.
    Good to hear you got it in.
    11 foot 4 inches ceiling height for a bendpak 10K lift.
    Cut a hole in your garage brutha!.
    1957 Nomad- LS1/T56 on C4 chassis
    1959 Fleetside Apache 1/2 ton, shortbed, big window, 327ci.

I'm still waiting on a call from the transmission shop (they told me a week?), but we're working on two weeks now... I even had trouble finding the 'transmission flush' AT200 (finally received it yesterday along with 2 gallons of Dexron III/Mercon flluid). And had to order the exhaust flange gaskets needed to replace the 'bolt in crossover'... hopefully today or tomorrow I'll get a call that it's ready to pick up the trans and if so, maybe Wednesday it will go back in...

Registered Member

Member #:1806
    Quote Originally Posted by BamaNomad View Post
    (Thanks to Richard or it would still be in the car and I'd be lamenting how much it was going to hurt to remove it!~)..

IMG_0639.jpg
    The Air Force is always ready when there's a call.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast