Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pinion Nut

Registered Member

Member #:4916

Pinion Nut

I just put the third member (pumpkin) in. But the pinion nut had already been taken off so i have no idea how many turns and no markings to go on. Does anyone know how tight i should tighten the nut?

Member #:3217
    Why was the pinion nut removed/loosened?? Generally you wouldn't do that unless there was a problem of some sort. Is this with the stock rear in your '55 210 ?? If so I'd remove the pumpkin from the differential, mount it up in a vise, and get a service manual for the car and follow the service manual recommendation. I've completely set up a '57 rear but it was long ago and I wouldn't want to rely on my memory!

Registered Member

Member #:625
    I just zap them with an impact, being careful nut to add crush to the sleeve.

Registered Member

Member #:571
    What markm said.

The only other thing you could do is get a new crush sleeve and set it up per the shop manual.

Member #:3217
    If you tighten the pinion nut, then you still need to check the pinion to ring gear lash...

Registered Member

Member #:571
    The pinion nut's tightness or lack of it doesn't affect the gear mesh, especially the lash. Its only effect is on pinion bearing preload.

Registered Member

It takes a pretty good lick with a 1/2inch impact to crush a sleeve. Rick is correct about the backlash.

Registered Member

Member #:4916
    I like the easy idea of "zapping with impact" and will gladly do it if that is all it takes. But i dont want to go under this thing again for a while. Thank you guys for info. What i read in the books is to set it to 8-10 inch pounds. but that is not a lot of torque so i am still a little confussed.

Member #:3292
    Quote Originally Posted by PastorJ View Post
    I like the easy idea of "zapping with impact" and will gladly do it if that is all it takes. But i dont want to go under this thing again for a while. Thank you guys for info. What i read in the books is to set it to 8-10 inch pounds. but that is not a lot of torque so i am still a little confussed.
    That torque spec IS NOT for the nut, it's for the rolling load on the pinion bearings.
    It is checked with a torque wrench with the ring gear carrier out of the housing.
    As for a crush sleeve: We use the shim style sleeve and set the load with a shim pack.
    We use a nut that has had the lock machined off, so it can be used several times.
    These:
    Ratech Differential Pinion Bearing Spacers and Sleeves - Free Shipping on Orders Over $99 at Summit Racing
    Injector inspector
    Walmart hottie stalker.
    USAF 60-64.
    The guys that brought you the Cuban missile crisis in living color!

Registered Member

If memory serves me correct it takes like 500ft pounds to crush a sleeve. Buzzard is correct about the inch pound spec as turning force.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast