Just joined? Please introduce yourself.

Thread: Lower Control Arm Bushings

Member #:516

Lower Control Arm Bushings

Hello All,

Hey I was trying to press in, pound in, and screw in the lower control arm bushing today and had nothing but trouble. I need to get some info about the best way(s) to get them in without screwing up the bushings!!! Anyone got some tips??? Thanks!!!
    Last edited by Troy; 06-05-2022 at 04:18 PM.

Member #:3217
    Troy,

You need to use a press to *press* them in ... a 12 ton press would do it, but you also need a spacer brace between the ends of the control arm to prevent collapsing the arm when you do so. Also needed are sockets of various sizes to use to be just under the sizes of the bushings or shaft to press thru... There should be videos of this done on line if you have never done the job or seen it done

Here is a youtube video on the job...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjrdpHC2ZZ4

Registered Member

Member #:625
    I have even had to resort to burning the rubber with a torch. A very stinky Smokey job for summer months, finishing them off with an air hammer.

Thanks Bama for the video, but I've already removed, blasted, painted and I've rebuilt the upper control arms and they turned out great!!! The lower arms have been removed, blasted, painted but I'm having problems getting the new bushings in. I had to order new bushings for them because they got screwed up. I've done this to my Chevy years ago and it went fine. I have the same press shown on the video, and I machined some tools to press the bushings in. I think I'm going to have to do some more machining of tools to install them. The lower arms are difficult because they have two walls to press the bushing through. Anyway thanks for the help and if you have anymore input please do it!!! Have a good one!!

Registered Member

Member #:571
    You may need to straighten the area where the bushings pass through. A vice and big crescent wrench are good tools for that.

Hello Rick,

Yes I went out an d took some measurements and I have a little straightening to do!!! I wish I could find the original Chevrolet J-5888 bushing install kit. I did find some posts about a home made kit so that's my next project and it'll be great!!! My only problem is that the arms are blasted and painted so if I scratch them I'll just have to touch them up!!!!

Well I got my bushings installed!! Here's a picture of the tools I made and the finished Control Arms!! Thanks for the help all!! And all of the parts are MOOG, I've always used this brand!!

Control Arm Tools.jpg

Comtrol Arms.jpg
    Last edited by Troy; 06-10-2022 at 03:30 PM.

Member #:3217
    Very good Troy! Another step behind you....