Just joined? Please introduce yourself.

Thread: Spark Plug Recommendation?

Member #:1723

Spark Plug Recommendation?

I have Edelbrock #60899 Performer RPM cylinder heads on the 327 in my 57. Edelbrock calls for Champion RC-12YC as a good spark plug (for street applications). Any alternative recommendations? I pulled the plugs in order to hand rotate the engine more easily, and I find that two of the ceramic insulators slide up and down the electrode . I don't know how that happened, but might be a good opportunity to switch, should there be a better alternative.
    Thanks, Doug

Registered Member

Member #:625
    I would try crossing them to Autolite or AC , never had any use for Champions.

Hi Mark,
    Thanks for the insight. You found Champions didn't work so well for you (fouled, or...)?
    Thanks, Doug

Registered Member

Member #:625
    I just got hooked on Autolite as a teenager street racing and later bracket racing. I told a buddy that was having trouble getting rpm out of the 390 in his AMC Javelin, he call me on Sunday all pissed off, his car never turned that kind of rpm before so he stayed in it and blew it up.

Hi Mark,
    Thanks for relating your reasoning, and for the (sorry to say it) funny story about your friends Javelin.
    Thanks, Doug

Member #:3217
    In my older '60's, and 70's vehicles back in that time period, I preferred Champions because I believed they ran better than AC; it was only when I got the 'originality' craze later that I began buying AC plugs for my Chevys. I never really considered Autolite in those days as I considered them for 'Fords'..

Registered Member

Member #:571
    I've had better luck with Autolite plugs in recent years than any other brand. Coincidence? Maybe, but it works for me. AC plugs had a bad reputation back to the early 70s. For me, the bad reps for Champion are more recent than that, but still go back a ways.

Don't let the Ford/Chevy thing bias your thoughts about spark plugs. Autolite hasn't been affiliated with Ford for 40-50 years, replaced by Motorcraft.

Member #:4391
    I drove big block Mopar cars for years, and I found that Autolite plugs worked the best for me. That's the brand I plan to buy for my '56, when I need new ones.

Member #:4411
    I have been a champion man for 45 years. Never had any trouble with them. So I stuck with them. For a few years I use to like using the Accel yellow spark plugs, they also ran well for me but you cant get them any longer, at least not the yellow ceramic versions. As for AC, Autolite, others, I am sure they are all fine to use.

Thanks for all the suggestions and related experiences. I will look at getting Autolites to replace the Champions. I was disturbed with the loose ceramic around the positive electrode on two out of the eight Champion plugs.
    Thanks, Doug