Just joined? Please introduce yourself.

Thread: Disc Brakes for a 57

Member #:4938

Disc Brakes for a 57

I would like to know... which (year and model) spindles from a: Chevy II, Nova, Chevelle or even a full sized Chevy, that will fit into a 57 Chevy? I know there are brake kits out there that would give better performance, and are larger, but this is the "Old School" way, and I don't have "Kit" kinda money! Thanks in advance for sharing your knowledge, and your assistance!

Member #:3249
    Not exactly the answer you want, but my car came to me with Heidt's spindles and G body calipers and rotors. Works as it should.

Member #:3217
    LP: I think we need to understand MORE about your goals for your car (and what model car you plan to modify/upgrade?).. Your initial post indicated you were interested in drag racing. As you most likely know, disk brakes are great for the street, but disk brakes are not necessarily the best upgrade for a drag car... drum brakes have MUCH LESS drag, and there ARE larger drum kits you can install along iwth higher performance brake shoes to improve the braking on the street...?

Registered Member

Member #:571
    Spindles from the cars you mention won't fit a trifive.

Registered Member

Member #:625
    Quote Originally Posted by BamaNomad View Post
    LP: I think we need to understand MORE about your goals for your car (and what model car you plan to modify/upgrade?).. Your initial post indicated you were interested in drag racing. As you most likely know, disk brakes are great for the street, but disk brakes are not necessarily the best upgrade for a drag car... drum brakes have MUCH LESS drag, and there ARE larger drum kits you can install along iwth higher performance brake shoes to improve the braking on the street...?
    My first 67 Camaro had drums and after 3 successive time trails it was a challenge to stop, after its demise I bought an SS350 roller with factory disk. I swapped the drive train with the exception of the 9 inch as the SS had a 12 bolt posi. The ETs were the same, except now I could run back to back time trails until I was out of gas. Maybe the less drag of the 12 bolt canceled out the increased drag of the disk brakes.

A kit using Chevelle rotors is by for the cheapest way to go. I bought brackets only, as I have a stock pile of early Camaro/Chevelle rotors, rebuilt Calipers $30, 74 Z28 brake hoses $25, 79Z28 prop valve free. The aforementioned brackets use stock spindles. I believe a C3 Vette spindle or late 60s Impala may be adapted but am not sure how.