Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Trifive Nationals

Member #:3217
    My wife and I made it up on Thursday afternoon, picked up our packet... and walked down to the 'giveaway car' since I really wanted to see it. The color wasn't as nice as the photos made it appear; it was actually almost a 'dull OD green', but I'd still take it if they call my number! (They didn't)... We stayed until the winning number was announced at 6 pm Saturday night, then made it for the truck and 'tried' to high tail it out of there.. but it took ~ an hour to make it out of beech bend, after which we headed for home and made it home by a bit after 10 pm last night. I couldn't stand the idea of another night in the Candlewood suites, on their bed and pillows. I think last night after crawling in bed, I was asleep in 3 seconds (my wife said 2 seconds)..

I have to say.. the turnout was great... had to be 3000+ cars (and maybe 2000 carts).. this year I was not going to complain about the carts since I had arranged to ride with a friend on his cart to save my walking in the heat and maybe having a heart attack or heat prostration~ Also, as it turned out, The WEATHER this year was fantastic... very pleasant each of the 3 days we were there.. best ever on the weather... low to mid 80's in the heat of the afternoon, with a breeze blowing most of the time (at least if you stayed in the shade)..

I didn't win the car... but I'll be registering to go back (and pay my annual fee for the magazine and entry fee at the same time, since they have a $100 special for both the TFN and the magazine for a year!)...

Registered Member

Member #:625
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragsix View Post
    I am not that far, about 875 one way, so 1700 or so round trip.
    I would assume you tow your car that far, what kind of tow rig do you have? My newest trucks just qualified for antique plates at 35 years old.

Quote Originally Posted by busterwivell View Post
    I'd love to be going, but it looks to be a 3500 mile round trip, and at 5.00 a gallon..............
    I bought gas at 3.42/gal, and saw roadside stations posting as low as 3.14/gal... so maybe it's going back a bit.. (I hope).. (for regular, not Prem)..

Gary

Member #:3249
    Gary, we're seeing prices go down around here, too. I filled up Thursday for 3.99. That's down from 4,99 a couple of weeks ago. Maybe we can get the prices down some more and I can make it to the Nationals next year.
    I'm driving over to Silver City New Mexico Friday for a show on Saturday with some friends. Glad to see gas prices dropping, it's make it a little easier on the budget. In six weeks some of us are heading to Del Mar (San Diego) Ca on our "Bonnie Wivell Memorial Cruise" to the Good Guys show. That will really tell the story about gas prices.
    Went with a friend to the Pomona Swap Meet a little over a week ago. He towed my trailer with his 2022 GMC with a 3.0 turbo diesel. That thing was impressive. Diesel in California was 6.39.
    On that note, and not to start a political discussion/argument, I'm not in favor of tapping the Strategic Petroleum Reserves to lower gas prices. That oil should be left for it's intended purpose.
    Bill

I agree with you Bill... but when our long term Petroleum reserves plans runs up against 'politics' , it probably loses! When have politicians let long term plans beat out 'short term' political considerations?

Member #:3249
    Exactly!

Member #:4411
    We also had a very good time this year. Weather was perfect considering what the weather has been the last couple of years (read that hot). Had the 57 on a trailer pulled by my old trustworthy 2013 Dodge Ram. took 13.5 hours to get there. We left Tuesday morning around 2:30 am and arrived 3:00 pm (extra hour with the time shift). Wednesday went over to the track for packet pickup and t shirts. I know a lot of the folks who work the show so I wanted to say hello. Hung out in the hotel parking lot for a bit, ran in to a few folks I know from past shows.

Headed over to Nashville late Wednesday afternoon (an hour from Bowling Green). Had dinner at Peg Leg Porkers bbq joint. Had cool aid pickles (dill pickles soaked for a few days in cherry cool aid). They were pretty good once you got past the look. I will post a few photos tonight when I get home. Headed to the main drag, was in a honky tonk called Ripey's. They had a pretty good band. Young woman was the lead singer. Those bands are not paid so they solicit tips and seek requests (for an enhanced tip). She was over at our table as we were right in front of the band asking for a request. Now I have to tell you, what does this east coast northern child of the middle to late 70s know about country music? Well, not much really. But I managed to pull one out of my hat, which stunned everyone at our table, so I asked them to play Dwight Yokum's Fast As You. They did a pretty good job of it and she told me that it was a great request! Panic averted. Rained pertty good on the way home. Little more hanging out in the hotel parking lot and that was it for Wednesday.

Thursday got up early, enjoyed the early morning air, little breakfast at the hotel, wiped the car down and drove my beloved high school built 6 powered 57 (with the newly installed 456 gears) to Beach Bend. Was fun. Car ran great with the new Ram Clutch and pressure plate, the 5 blade 348 chevy with AC fan kept the car at 180-190 the entire weekend. Found a spot to park, set the canopy up, unloaded the trunk and my son and I promptly headed to tech and then the staging lanes for multiple fun runs. could not get the tires to hook but driving down that track was just too much fun. He and I swapped and ran the car round robin for quite some time. As ususal, I was the only 6 powered car to go down the strip all weekend. Walked the swap meet, came home with some 6 cylinder goodies (new sealed power rocker set, oil pump, bearings, hydraulic lifters). Watched the gassers, junior stockers and professional cars, did not win the 50/50, visited with some friends and acquaintences, and then hung out at the canopy. Waited for the traffic to clear a bit before we left, back to the hotel, dinner and then back to the track to watch the racing under the lights. It was pretty well attended and a lot of fun actually. A couple of the out and out race cars got taken out by a couple of the street strip cars. Then back to the hotel parking lot and hang out in the lot (I like hanging out in the lot truth be told).

Friday my son drove my car over to Bowling Green, quite a few more fun runs, walked the vendor area, saw the real deal Two Lane Blacktop car (something I never thought I would ever see in person), looked at the junior stockers, helped a fried with his car, watched the races, hung out at the canopy. Again, waited for the traffic to clear, headed back to the hotel, dinner and the parking lot. There was a little get together in the lot Friday night of some internet friends. It was nice to put some faces to names. There were at least 30 that showed up, probably a little more. It was really nice to see so many smiling faces and conversations. Steve Brewer from Mutton Hollow Chevy showed up. Was nice to put a face to the name!

Saturday, my boy drove over again. Found our spot, canopy up. Weather was great. We got in as many fun runs as we could because they usually finish them up by noon to start the competitive racing. Walked two of the fields in two sessions to see the cars. They were great. Every kind in every shape and color. Saw my first factory AC 57. The man that owned the car was so enthused about his car and very informative. Let me get in his car and look. Really great. The cars were terrific. Back to the canopy for a little haning out. My car was more of a hit then I expected. Its not that nice believe me but lots of questions from lots of people. Was a lot of fun. Back to the track to watch a little racing. Then the 50/50. I did not win. Sat through the show car awards and clapped politely. Then the give away car, and no, I did not win that either, lol.

Waited for the traffic to clear, headed over to the Steak and Shake for a burger and a banana milk shake and that was it. Done. Next morning loaded up and back home (12.5 hours). Still not unpacked yet, lol.

All in all, I like the Nationals, warts and all. There is no other show for our cars like it. I have crossed paths with a lot of guys who I would never have crossed paths with ever, if it were not for that show. Best part, a week with my youngest son, watching him drive dad's old hot rod down the historic Beach Bend Dragstrip on a beautiful Kentucky day. Hard to beat.
    Last edited by Dragsix; 08-23-2022 at 05:56 PM.

Fantastic writeup, Mike!

I think you must have had more fun than anyone at the Nationals!
    I forgot about the meetup at the Holiday Inn Friday evening; I was riding iwth some friends and they were keen on meeting the wives for dinner at the outback... and I don't think I saw you all weekend; never did find the TriFive tent either... riding on the back of a golf cart facing the wrong way didn't help, but I didn't think I could take all the walking...

Gary

here is the bbq joint

And here is the last of the cool-aid pickles. Really, they were pretty good, lol.

DA0DDE41-2287-4AEA-A342-08149E8E7B35.jpegD206D165-C4E6-47DE-9EB8-247FC4C86DD8.jpeg

I am really sorry our paths did not cross this year. Here is my take. I don’t know how long this show will be held. But I really like the show, the location, the adventure getting there, the cars, the ability to run the car down the dragstrip, and most of all the people. I am a big believer that life is meant to be lived. So I try to do that when I can. I hate negativity. It’s just not helpful to anything it’s applied to, nothing. So to the extent that show has opportunities, I embrace them, lol. It’s more fun that way.
    Last edited by Dragsix; 08-23-2022 at 05:45 PM.

Posting photos always challenges me. I got the first two posted, now can’t get any more to post.
    Last edited by Dragsix; 08-23-2022 at 05:58 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast