Just joined? Please introduce yourself.

Thread: Pulling the 2 speed power glide

Registered Member

Member #:4392

Pulling the 2 speed power glide

Hi all, I was wondering if any of you can give me a few pointers on the best way to pull the engine and trans together. It's a 265 v8 and pwr glide. The engine looks pretty straight forward, I just can't tell where I should disconnect the trans from the frame. Thanks in advance!

Registered Member

Member #:625
    Original glide has bellhousing mounts.

Member #:3217
    Your early Powerglide is supported from the 'bell housing' portion of the transmission (one mount on each side) and is attached to structural supports which are welded to (and a part of) the trifive frames. Note that the transmission mounts on these cars also serve as the REAR engine mounts. Put an floor jack under the main body of the transmission for support and get under the car and it will probably be obvious to you. Each mount uses two bolts into the transmission and two bolts into the frame support.

Registered Member

Thanks Mark and Bama! I am starting "the pull" lol. Man I wish I knew what I was doing. I'm learning though and can't say thank you enough.

Member #:3217
    If this is your first time pulling an engine/trans together, just be careful... The combination in early cast irons is extremely heavy (probably close to 1000 lbs).. Don't let anything important (your head or limbs) be under it when you're lifting it high, and as soon as you clear everything, pull your hoist clear of the car and lower the engine/trans down to the ground (that's where it's safest!)... Hope you have some help also...? just to eyeball everything as it's coming clear is almsot necessary.

Registered Member

It's out fellers! Pretty uneventful thanks to you guys. And you are right Bama, that transmission is heavy as hades! The lift I bought came with one of those load leveler things and it helped a bunch to keep the load controlled.