Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: C4 rear end adjustment

Member #:3217
    Quote Originally Posted by WagonCrazy View Post
    Oh, now i see. You still have the stock batwing leaf spring set up on the rear.
    On my Nomad build, I eliminated that batwing in favor of coil overs.
    Not sure how to advise you on height adjustments with your setup.
    Possibly swap out the fixed length link shafts at the end of each leaf spring? Maybe a longer one would raise the ride height? Thinking out loud here...no experience with it though.
    This is just 'semantics', but Paul the 'batwing' is the Aluminum Component that holds the differential and allows retention into the chassis. The stock rear C4 spring is a single transverse composite spring, clamped in the middle and which uses the ends of the spring to suspend the wheels/tires.

PS. I went with the original rear suspension as well for two reasons: 1) to retain stock GM components as much as possible for future replacement purposes, and 2) I do not plan to drag race my Nomad, and one additional reason: I dislike coil over suspensions!

Banned

Member #:2775
    Actually, to raise the car you need to shorten the bolts that the end of the spring that is suspended from the spindle, which applies more pressure to the center mount of the spring mounted below the diff, which raises the car. To lower the car, you use longer bolts on the ends of the spring. Opposite of what it appears to look like. Same spring setup on the C3. C5, C6, and C7 Corvettes.
    Last edited by 55 Rescue Dog; 08-15-2022 at 09:33 AM.

Registered Member

Member #:2602
    Sorry for the late reply and thanks for your help .The car is lower on one side about 1inch .FDFAFFC4-6AE0-4DB6-9A35-61345C39117A.jpeg

Member #:115
    Quote Originally Posted by Bow tie downunder View Post
    Sorry for the late reply and thanks for your help .The car is lower on one side about 1inch .
    Looks like it's only been about 7 months.

Are you sure the problem is in the rear? Does the front sit level?

I noticed you're not using a dropped toe adjuster. Did you notch the frame to clear the stock one? The frame in that area is already weak and notching it could have made the frame low at the right rear corner.

With the car sitting on level ground, measure the front end to see if it's level. If it's not, it could still be a rearend problem. Put a floor jack under the differential and raise the rear off the floor to see if the front end sits level then. If it doesn't, adjust the front coilovers. If it does, the problem is in the rear.

Measure from the spring straight up to the end of the batwing on both sides. That measurement should be the same if the car is level. Are both spring bolts adjusted the same? Tightening the nut (shortening the bolt) will raise the car, and loosening it will lower it.

Car looks great btw.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Registered Member

Thanks for the advice .Inreplaced the tyres on the rear with 265x45 18 which gave me an extra 1inch of clearance.The rear was too low with a 35 profile .The front is level.The measurement at the batwing is 92 mm and 95 mm.The spring bolts are the same on bothe ends .The only thing I can see that is different is position of the camber adjustment.
    E27F335B-98DA-4FCC-BEB4-1538E27D5E09.jpegAFE4CF92-D88D-4844-B41A-EBCC80E00FF0.jpeg

Registered Member

Can you supply the dropped toe adjuster ,they are not on eBay .I had 50mm clearance but now It is 40 mm.

Banned

Member #:2775
    From the picture of the back of the car it looks like too much negative camber on the right rear.

Member #:2442
    To raise the ride height you need shorter bolts or spacers as RD55 stated. To lower the ride you need longer bolts as I did on mine. Ride height can be fine tuned within the range of the threads on the bolts.

Registered Member

Thanks That’s how I see it.I had the rear end aligned professionally.[ATTACH]13354
    Attached Images Attached Images

Registered Member

Thanks for your help ,I only need to raise one side by 7/8

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast