Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: C4 rear end adjustment

Registered Member

Member #:2602

C4 rear end adjustment

Is it possible to adjust the body height.I’m after 1/2 to 1 inch increase in height.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Banned

Member #:2775
    If you are running the composite transverse leaf spring like I do, you can simply use shorter bolt on the ends of the spring or add spacers between the nut and the bottom end of the spring. You can only raise it up so far before interference. If that's not enough, then you would need to find a stiffer spring. They had several different ones on the C4's but I have no idea which one would be best. The other thing is to shed a little weight in the rear. I don't have spare, and my battery is not in the trunk. I don't fill my 22-gallon tank either. My car is pretty stripped down at 3400lbs, but it rides and drives perfect with plenty of suspension travel. Which C4 conversion frame do you have? On the front you would need to maybe add spacers to the ends of the spring, which is more difficult. Beautiful car btw.
    IMG_0723.jpg
    IMG_1634.jpg
    Last edited by 55 Rescue Dog; 08-12-2022 at 06:16 AM.

Registered Member

Thanks for your help .I have raised the front on the coilovers which has made the car sit level.I don’t want to upset the geometry .I thought of using 20 inch wheels instead of 18 .

Member #:530
    That's going to take a coil over adjustment (probably loosening the ring below the spring so that it relaxes the spring compression.
    If you get it all the way loose (springs move around by hand), then you may need to go with the next longer spring length.
    1957 Nomad- LS1/T56 on C4 chassis
    1959 Fleetside Apache 1/2 ton, shortbed, big window, 327ci.

Banned

I chose not to use coil overs for several reasons, and I kept the weight of my car to near the same as a 96 Corvette running the stock size 275/40-17 tires with 9.5 wide wheels front and rear. It drives perfect like a giant Corvette and sticks to the road like you wouldn't believe.
    1955 Chevy autocross - YouTube
    Last edited by 55 Rescue Dog; 08-12-2022 at 04:49 PM.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bow tie downunder View Post
    Thanks for your help .I have raised the front on the coilovers which has made the car sit level.I don’t want to upset the geometry .I thought of using 20 inch wheels instead of 18 .
    This is what I have
    Attached Images Attached Images

Banned

It looks like you could use a thicker rubber bushing between the end of the spring and the spindle, which would raise it an inch for sure. Bolt looks plenty long too. Otherwise, you need a stiffer spring.
    Last edited by 55 Rescue Dog; 08-12-2022 at 05:24 PM.

Registered Member

Thanks for your input .L have adjusted the front it’s the rear I’m not sure of.

Member #:530
    Oh, now i see. You still have the stock batwing leaf spring set up on the rear.
    On my Nomad build, I eliminated that batwing in favor of coil overs.
    Not sure how to advise you on height adjustments with your setup.
    Possibly swap out the fixed length link shafts at the end of each leaf spring? Maybe a longer one would raise the ride height? Thinking out loud here...no experience with it though.
    1957 Nomad- LS1/T56 on C4 chassis
    1959 Fleetside Apache 1/2 ton, shortbed, big window, 327ci.

Member #:3217
    Quote Originally Posted by Bow tie downunder View Post
    Thanks for your input .L have adjusted the front it’s the rear I’m not sure of.
    With the C4 transverse rear spring, rear height is easily adjustable (within limits).

To lower the rear of the car, remove the cotter pin and tighten the large nuts at the ends of the spring. Replace the cotter pins of course afterwards.

To raise the rear of the car, remove the cotter pin and loosen the large nuts at the ends of the spring. You have a lot of room to further raise the rear, and one can even go to a longer bolt as long as the spring is strong enough to further lift the car.

For my curiousity. Would you check the 2-letter code stamped into the spring and let me know which one you have?
    Last edited by BamaNomad; 08-15-2022 at 08:27 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast