Just joined? Please introduce yourself.

Thread: Summit frame reinforcement

Registered Member

Member #:2425

Summit frame reinforcement

Has anyone used the frame reinforcement kit from summit and was there a noticeable improvement in handling? Not interested in full aftermarket frame for my wagon but will be pulling the frame to complete the underside resto.

Banned

Member #:2775
    It probably won't help much. You can put more rungs on a ladder, but it won't stiffen it much compared to tube chassis, or uni-body designs. It will still twist more than you want. Unfortunately, they were originally designed to twist, plus they had squishy tires, soft springs, no sway bars, etc. Look at the X-frame cars they used 1958-1964. Terrible design for torsional chassis stiffness.
    It sure doesn't help when the frame rails, although huge at 5 inches square, they only 3-feet apart instead of being as wide as the car. Nothing between you and the middle of driver's seat other than some weak sheet metal. I don't have nearly enough but I have a full width reinforced roll bar.IMG_1565.jpg
    Last edited by 55 Rescue Dog; 08-15-2022 at 04:52 PM.

Banned

I designed my Camaro much stiffer and stronger.
    1981 Z28 071.jpg
    IMG_5745.JPG

Registered Member

Member #:2425
    Thanks for the input and theory behind your comments but still hoping for input from anyone having used the system.

Member #:530
    Anything you do to add stiffening to your stock frame is going to help. As built, that stock frame barely as 2 crossmembers (front and rear) and the steel frame thickness is barely adequate and DOES flex when driving on uneven surfaces. Even with the body mounted (which does help stiffen the whole thing), it will still flex.

So add a few more crossmembers and gussets to keep it from flexing.

Here's mine the day I hauled it home from ChevyNut Laszlo's many years ago now:
    DSCN1174.jpg
    1957 Nomad- LS1/T56 on C4 chassis
    1959 Fleetside Apache 1/2 ton, shortbed, big window, 327ci.

Banned

Yes, that design looks pretty beefy, but with the C4 IRS I would think the only way to get the driveshaft in or out, the rear suspension would have to be dropped for installation with the 3 crossmember ties. How does your C4 car drive WC, and does the chassis feel tight enough?
    Last edited by 55 Rescue Dog; 08-22-2022 at 03:50 PM.

Banned

I wish I could figure out an easy way to stiffen the front half of the chassis on my 55. On my Camaro I used a mid-plate between the engine/trans and the chassis with solid front mounts making the engine a structural part of the chassis to make it solid.
    1981 Z28 076.jpg
    Last edited by 55 Rescue Dog; 08-24-2022 at 04:27 PM.