Just joined? Please introduce yourself.

Thread: Low gloss paint

Member #:1723

Low gloss paint

Hi,
    My friend building the old 40's Dodge Power Wagon PU says he doesn't want shiny paint and is thinking Rat Rod style paint. I have no experience with those paints. I imagine you can't sand/buff out runs/orange peel? If you did, I imagine that will result in areas of different sheen? I think the two-stage gloss paint would be easier to apply, and to maintain. I imagine the low sheen paints would retain dirt/dust more than gloss paint? He lives in a very rural area and drives a lot of dirt roads.

Maybe my imaginings are all wrong, and this could be a good idea for him? Any experience/knowledge you can share will be appreciated.
    Thanks, Doug

Member #:3217
    I agree with you Doug!

Member #:3249
    He could 2 stage it with a flat or satin clear.

Thanks guys! Buster, so would one still be able to sand & buff the satin or flat 2-stage coat?
    Maybe 55 Rescue Dog will weigh in, as well.

Registered Member

Member #:571
    Satin or flat clear will present the same problems.

Hi Rick,
    Drat. Thanks for the input! Doug

Registered Member

Member #:3682

Comments on satin paints

Hey Doug - we've used both the 2 stage w/satin clear and single stage satin on vehicles. The 49 Ford F-1 pickup was painted around 2010 with the 2 stage PPG black base and non-PPG satin clear. The 66 Chevy II undercarriage following the pickup was painted with single stage satin black.

IMG_0424.JPG

IMG_0398.JPG

As you have identified, the satin clear has its challenges. If everything is sprayed at the same time, the finish can be pretty consistent, as long as the application is uniform. If parts are painted at different times, it's not easy to get the same finish (luster, shine). Air pressure, temperature, rate of application are all working against it. The finish is pretty durable though. The picture above was taken about 3 years ago and the truck has about 24,000 miles on it.

The 66 Chevy II undercarriage is single stage Eastwood satin black paint, applied around 2014. We've used this paint for chassis parts on a number of vehicles. It goes on consistent, is pretty easy to get the same finish over multiple painting times, and is quite durable. I wouldn't be concerned to shoot a body with it. Although the Chevy II doesn't have the miles that the F-1 pickup does, the paint has held up well.

Bottomline, I wouldn't use the 2 stage process again for a satin finish. In my opinion, it's too difficult to get really nice, consistent results as well as it's significant'y more expensive.
    Last edited by TrifiveRichard; 09-07-2022 at 02:17 PM.

Hi Richard,
    Thanks so much for relating your personal experiences. Good info on the 2-stage finish, and on the greater ease in painting consistently over multiple sessions with the single stage. I will pass the info along. Thanks, Doug