Just joined? Please introduce yourself.

Thread: Fresh Air Duct Seal Installation

Member #:4411

Fresh Air Duct Seal Installation

I have to assemble the fresh air ducts to the fender and inner fender on my son’s 57. Has anyone here done this and if so, what rubber parts did you use? It looks like there is a rubber strip that must have been stapled to either the front or rear duct, but there also seems to be some rubber that lines the opening in the inner fender that the ducts attach to. I am starting from scratch as I am assembling all of this from parts off of at least three different cars and no rubber was left on any of it.

Member #:3217
    Mike,

Yes, as you suspect, there is a 'rubber band' that stretches around the joint between the ducts to seal it off. My original '57 still has the original in place, and I can take a photo tomorrow. i also have purchased new ones for the Nomad I'm building, and also the 'rubber seal' around the front of the duct where it seals against the inner fender. Both of those parts should be available from any of the trifive vendors...

Gary

Mike,

I forgot about having 'painted parts' all over the hood of my original sedan, so it's not easy for me to open the hood to get the photo I promised you. I'll look and see if I have a photo taken in the past and will attach it if I find one, but here is a kit from Ecklers which has the parts you need.

https://www.ecklers.com/chevy-heater...-130752-1.html

When I bought these parts 3-4 years ago the parts were available individually, but not now apparently...?? You could 'make' your own rubber sleeve if you have some thin rubber (like an old inner tube?).. measure around the duct where the band goes to get the length (add an inch or so), and cut a strip that long by around 1.0 - 1.5" wide and that will do it. You can 'staple' the ends together to make the sleeve, or use a rubber cement (or both).
    Last edited by BamaNomad; 09-19-2022 at 06:21 AM.

I did find a photo I'd taken previously (the seal is beginning to come apart but you can get the right idea)..
    heater duct seal.jpg

https://www.woodyshotrodz.com/Golden-Star-GDS-IF13-57L-p/gds-if13-57l.htm

See the hole that the front and rear ducts slip into. There is a seal for the two halves of the duct. But I also think there is a piece of rubber that lines the large hole that the two duct halves slip into. Was hoping someone has done thie repair and can tell me what i need.
    Last edited by Dragsix; 09-19-2022 at 11:21 AM.

Mike,

Yes, there is a rubber seal that slips over the metal around that hole in the inner fender. I'll check tomorrow and see if I've still got the PN... It could be simulated by splitting a length of 'vacuum line' and slipping that around the metal in the opening.. most likely just to prevent 'squeaks' of metal to metal..?

Here's the part... DAN-548
    https://www.woodyshotrodz.com/DAN-548-p/dan-548.htm

Gary
    Last edited by BamaNomad; 09-19-2022 at 07:36 PM.

That is the one! Many thanks for finding that. No matter where I looked, I could just not find it.