Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fuel Pump Question

Registered Member

Member #:4392

Fuel Pump Question

All,

I have been figuring out things on my own (thanks for the wealth of info on here!), but now I am a little stumped. I am trying to figure out what fuel pump to go with (thinking Aeromotive) and looking for recommendations. I am planning on using the stock tank and changing all lines to 3/8" braided (read the rubber hose horror stories). The engine is a 383 stroker with supposedly around 530-540 hp running a 750 holley brawler (may change to fuel injection down the road and will change the tank at that point). I have read so much that I have confused myself. Also, I have relocated the radiator to the 6 cyl position. Can I still use standard length rad hoses?

Any recommendations or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Hope all of you are doing well.

Boyd

Registered Member

Member #:625
    The 65 Corvette 375 hp 327 fuel pump is hard to beat and comes with many of GMs crate motors.

Member #:3217
    Mark: Can you provide a current GM PN for the fuel pump you recommended? That would be a good one if they still sell it... I concur that a GM pump would be preferable to anything aftermarket...

Member #:615
    I was going to recommend ACDelco street performance fuel pump 12355612 or competition fuel pump 112356613. But when I looked for them on line Amazon and Summit listed them as not available. Pace performance had them as discontinued. Both are excellent OEM fuel pumps.

The 65 Corvette 375 hp 327 fuel pump GM Number: 40083 is listed on Davies Corvette parts website as Temporarily out of production. I found a refurbished one on Amazon for $495.

I don't know if GM is getting out of the mechanical pump business or if it is a supply chain problem.

Registered Member

I have a NIB one that came with a crate motor I will get the numbers.

Registered Member

Fellers, one thing that I forgot to mention is that it has to be an electric pump. The "penetration" or opening for a mechanical pump is blanked off - so electric is my only option. Thanks guys for helping me.

If it's an engine that originally facilitated a mechanical pump, then it should be as simple as removing the blanking plate and installing the original plate, push rod and pump (and of course the fuel line mods necessary to put it back original).

PS. I am not a fan of electrical fuel pumps UNLESS they are mounted inside the tank which does 2 things: 1) keeps them cooler and prevents/minimizes premature failure due to overheating, and 2) quietens them down.. Sometimes electrical fuel pumps get installed because the owner believes it's *easier* to install/hookup than a mechanical fuel pump, AND it is, but they learn later about the downsides of a frame mounted electric fuel pump.

Quote Originally Posted by Tabasco View Post
    I was going to recommend ACDelco street performance fuel pump 12355612 or competition fuel pump 112356613. But when I looked for them on line Amazon and Summit listed them as not available. Pace performance had them as discontinued. Both are excellent OEM fuel pumps.

The 65 Corvette 375 hp 327 fuel pump GM Number: 40083 is listed on Davies Corvette parts website as Temporarily out of production. I found a refurbished one on Amazon for $495.

I don't know if GM is getting out of the mechanical pump business or if it is a supply chain problem.
    .. Probably BOTH since all their current (and recent past engines) have been FI engines requiring electrical pumps inside the fuel tanks...?

Registered Member

If the is a cover over hole the block is machined for a pump. The unmachined blocks don't need a cover.

Registered Member

It is an unmachined block. I may have to look into just changing the dang tank. I like what Bama is saying about quieter / cooler running. If anyone is interested in an OE style stainless tank, I may have one available pretty soon... Hehe, I thought my boat was a money vacuum. It is fun though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast