Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Installing a 1960 Chevrolet power steering pump , and alternator on a 1957 283

Member #:1707
    I can get you half way there - Borgeson make a power steering pump bracket that incorporates the engine mount - their part # 802404 for $84.
    Further Google searches show Autocity Classic has a similar bracket for $47 part # 5557PSM-FM. Southwest Performance Parts has one for $34 - can't find part # for that one.
    I imagine it shouldn't be too hard to get an alternator mount to suit your 57.
    Cheers, Des

Registered Member

Member #:3799

1957 Chevrolet generator w/power steering pump

Quote Originally Posted by Aussienomad View Post
    I can get you half way there - Borgeson make a power steering pump bracket that incorporates the engine mount - their part # 802404 for $84.
    Further Google searches show Autocity Classic has a similar bracket for $47 part # 5557PSM-FM. Southwest Performance Parts has one for $34 - can't find part # for that one.
    I imagine it shouldn't be too hard to get an alternator mount to suit your 57.
    Cheers, Des
    Hey thanks for the information . Me and my friend had trouble with his 1958 Impala which has the combined generator and power steering pump . We had to get flat bedded back 4 hours to NY from this past years Hershey Fall meet because of the unit going out . It would be so much easier to deal with a separate Alternator and pump , but then it's not original if your showing the car .

Member #:1707
    You could maybe use one of the alternators that look like a generator - think they are called Powergen, and mount the pump down low where it's hard to see.

Did you guys in the USA get the Nissan (Datsun) Patrol back around the 1990's, or maybe earlier? They had an alternator with a power steer pump at the rear, like the 57 gen/PS pump combo, but they would be hard to find now.
    My stepson did his auto electrical apprenticeship around that time and I recall him saying that his boss loved repairing those Nissan alternators and charged double for them against any other alternator rebuild. I asked him if they were difficult to work on and he replied that they weren't difficult - a couple of bolts holding the PS pump, but his boss liked to tell his customers that they were not "normal", and more work etc and the customers generally fell for it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12