Just joined? Please introduce yourself.

Thread: Rear quarter panel bow

Registered Member

Member #:2063

Rear quarter panel bow

My project is a 1957 Belaire. It has gone through a ground up resto-mod rebuild. The mods included, replacing both sides front to rear, including a complete floor. I am using the original frame with drop spindles, big block and Heidt's 4 link. The car has yet to be driven and the passenger side rear corner panel has developed an outward bow. Is anyone able to point me to a cause and or remedy? I realize without seeing the car an answer could be difficult.

Thanks
    Randy

Registered Member

Member #:571
    You need to post a photo to get good feedback.

Where is the bow? Over the wheel? Near the taillight?

Member #:2442
    Multiple photos of the bowed area is a must. Couple things to check would be how and where the new panel is welded in and the shims between the frame and body. If not shimmed right it can cause bows in the quarter panel.

Registered Member

Thanks for the response, guys. I need to transport the car to my new location. I will post pictures in a few weeks. If memory serves me well, the bow is close to the wheel. I asked the question now so I would know where to concentrate my search.
    Last edited by 1957randy; 02-10-2023 at 07:32 AM.

Member #:115
    How did the bow "develop" over time? Wasn't it there before or did you just not notice it? As Custer55 mentioned, sagging or collapsing body mounts or a weak frame could cause the bowing. If the bumper end of the frame or body sags, the quarter panel could bow and the most likely place for it to show would be at the center of the wheelwell. The bodies are fairly rigid longitudinally but they do flex.

Other than that I don't see how the metal could change over time. To see if it really is bowing measure the inside edge of the fenderwell lips across the car from side to side. Drop a plumb bob on each side and mark the locations on the floor, then roll the car away and measure. If it's over 72" it's not right. You could also measure each side from the edge of the fenderwell to the inner fenderwell to see if they're different.

I noticed you're in Newcastle now.....weren't you over in Dubois?
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Registered Member

Hey Lazlo,

Yep, same guy from Dubois. Bow developed over time, years after rear quarter panel was installed. I left Dubois in Jan. of 2020. I finally have a place to garage my car and plan to retrieve it soon from Dubois. I notice you have not stopped finding projects for your cars either. i do hope you have not paused for years as I have.

Concerning mine, I initially wondered if we had the car on the rack too long before finishing all the new metal work. I wondered if the roof caused weakness in the rear support. However, when we finished all the sheet metal work everything looked good. Same results after paint. The bow only appeared after the car sat in the garage 3-4 years. The bow is most definitely there. I will be looking very hard at the issue when I get the car back. I still have a few more items to address before I can get the car on the road. I am also thinking about Fitech fuel injection. BTW, I did not have Larry finish the interior.

Randy

Member #:115
    Hey Randy, I remember seeing your 57 at Larry's shop a few years ago. He's a really meticulous, picky, and obsessive guy and can be a little difficult to deal with. Our agreement was originally to exchange my labor on his chassis for his labor on my interior and we'd each pay for materials for our projects. I finished his chassis 8 years ago now and kept track of my hours and materials. I wasn't sure how many hours it would take on my interior so to get a jump start I built a lot of it myself. Then he bought a 59 Corvette AME chassis with no rearend and asked me to install a Dana 44. He said if I did that he would do whatever I wanted and as long as it took on my interior. I finished the Corvette chassis 3 years ago. He sold his shop and retired, and is trying to build a new (huge) shop at his house in Berthoud. He fired his general contractor after he doubled the cost, and Larry is acting as the GC. So he's been buried in that, and has no shop to do my interior. I offered space in my shop because I need to get it done since I'm moving. I finally got him to cover my new steering wheel and he's working on the padded dash and the headliner now. He would really prefer to have my car at his shop, but who knows when that's going to be done.

Larry mentioned something about a bear attack? Is that why you moved from Dubois? I'm moving up to Montana and we're at the house now. It sure takes time from my car work.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax