Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Seat belt issues

Member #:115
    Quote Originally Posted by Belair-o View Post
    I have the same issue (and as described by WagonCrazy). I have to hand wind the slack seatbelt onto the tensioner, so it is ready to stop me in an accident (too long a belt on too small a tensioner). Your post reminds me to also do some looking to see if there is a different belt setup that would eliminate the issue.
    Thanks, Doug
    There is probably too long of a belt and the retractor can't wind it all onto the spool because it's filled up. That's how mine is. With the spool completely full, I have about 57" of webbing hanging out of the retractor on one belt, and 55" or so on the other belt. And with the seatbelt around your body and latched, you probably have quite a bit more belt that you can pull out, right? I'd try to find someone to shorten the webbing if I were you. It's probably cheaper than new belts.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Banned

Member #:2775
    Why couldn't you find seatbelts that you like out of OEM "modern car" and use something like that instead of aftermarket which are probably not as good anyway?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by chevynut View Post
    Paul mand Doug, that's exactly the issue I'm trying to avoid. I almost ordered new belts until I re-installed my old ones and recognized the problem. Actually, I first noticed that they were too long retracted. The driver's side (shown in the pics above) has a little shorter length of belt when retracted. I think 133" is too long for these belts. I didn't mount my upper loop as high on the b-pillar as sone do, because I wanted to keep the belt behind the door when retracted.

As far as I can tell virtually all new vehicles have a free-sliding latch. Both my trucks, and both of our Infinitis have them. I wonder why these seatbelt companies don't make that standard on their seatbelts. If I can't get a free-sliding one I'm going to just buy a set of belts and disassemble them and replace the latch as long as it works in the buckle. I've searched and can't find a charcoal sliding latch, but both my trucks have that color. Then you have to put some kind of button or stopper on the belt to keep the latch from falling to the ground, but at least it will stow right.

Here's the button I'm talking about....

That stop button is a Dorman part available at most autopart's stores in stock, in black. I just recently bought a pair to replace one that was missing in my truck after I was tired of picking the buckle up off the floor.
    Last edited by 55 Rescue Dog; 03-13-2023 at 12:10 PM.

I just measured my seatbelt length and I need 105" from bolt to bolt to fit me where the seat sits for me while driving. That means from where the retractor bolt is to where the opposite anchor bolt is. I measured the seatbelts I have and they're 136" bolt to bolt, and 133" from retractor face to the opposite anchor bolt. So they must refer to the length of the webbing outside of the retractor when specifying length. So I'd really need 102" seat belts the way they measure them.

I need a maximum of 50" of webbing out of the retractor when fully retracted. Since there's about 57" sticking out now, I figure the retractor can only hold about 76" of webbing on the spool.

If I order the 125" belts they would have about 23" still spooled when latched for extra slack and 49" left when fully retracted which could be a problem. With the 120" belts I'd still have 18" of extra belt while buckled, and there would only be 44" left outside the retractor with the spool full. The 120" belts sound like the best fit for my application.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Quote Originally Posted by 55 Rescue Dog View Post
    Why couldn't you find seatbelts that you like out of OEM "modern car" and use something like that instead of aftermarket which are probably not as good anyway?
    Tell me what "modern car" has the exact belts I need and I'll think about it. As far as "not as good", it's likely they use the same manufacturers for the webbing, and I believe the retractors are the same or similar. The main difference is in the trim pieces.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Banned

IDK I guess, but you mentioned 4 vehicles that you owned that you liked the factory seatbelts in. I tried to make mine better for holding me strapped to the seat with 5-point belts anchored to the rollbar, and don't have to deal with retractors which isn't a big deal to me. I can stuff them out of sight if needed for show, and they are pretty easy to put on. I feel like part of the car when I have these snugged up.
    IMG_1565.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by 55 Rescue Dog View Post
    IDK I guess, but you mentioned 4 vehicles that you owned that you liked the factory seatbelts in. I tried to make mine better for holding me strapped to the seat with 5-point belts anchored to the rollbar, and don't have to deal with retractors which isn't a big deal to me. I can stuff them out of sight if needed for show, and they are pretty easy to put on. I feel like part of the car when I have these snugged up.
    Honestly, RD, this isn't about your car or any race car. Those seatbelts in my car would look stupid to me.

Just because I like the way the seatbelts are configured on my 4 other cars doesn't mean ANY of them will work in my Nomad. Maybe you just don't understand the issues, and that's fine. Just don't keep posting irrelevant obtuse stuff that doesn't help. I'm not talking about any 5-point seatbelts.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Member #:1723
    Quote Originally Posted by chevynut View Post
    There is probably too long of a belt and the retractor can't wind it all onto the spool because it's filled up. That's how mine is. With the spool completely full, I have about 57" of webbing hanging out of the retractor on one belt, and 55" or so on the other belt. And with the seatbelt around your body and latched, you probably have quite a bit more belt that you can pull out, right? I'd try to find someone to shorten the webbing if I were you. It's probably cheaper than new belts.
    Chevynut,
    I think you are right. I will pursue shortening the seat belts (that already match the interior color & style of my car), rather than hunting for a unicorn.
    Thanks, Doug

Banned

As long as the subject is about seatbelts, which people might be looking at the thread for ideas, what's wrong with tossing an alternative idea into the mix for something different, or maybe better? Sorry

Member #:3217
    RD: CN was not asking a 'generic question' about seat belts; he had a specific question which your response totally ignored. Please don't do that ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast