Just joined? Please introduce yourself.

Thread: 1957 Chevrolet neoprene rear main seal

Registered Member

Member #:3799

1957 Chevrolet neoprene rear main seal

Has anyone used these neoprene rear main seals to replace the old rope type original seals ? On my last 57 hardtop many years ago the engine builder did not pack the rope seal and leave the required extra and it leaked bad . A local shop had to use a Chinese finger to remove the leaking seal and replaced a new rope seal correctly to stop the bad leak on the new motor . Is there also a neoprene front main seal ? In 1958 Chevrolet went to a " V " shaped journal with neoprene . The 1958 Chevrolet's also had a vent on the tail shaft to stop the cast iron transmission from spilling out it's contents all over the floor . Someone before me has already tapped and installed a vent on my 57 power glide.

Member #:3217
    Dom,

Are you bringing your Nomad to Huntsville next month for the Nomad Convention??

Registered Member

65% done

Quote Originally Posted by BamaNomad View Post
    Dom,

Are you bringing your Nomad to Huntsville next month for the Nomad Convention??
    I wish I could take it for a ride , we just need to add some silicone brake fluid and bleed out the system and I believe it can be called a roller . I'm trying to find out how long it's going to take to get the motor/transmission rebuilt we need to send them out . I need to see if any of my extra exhaust manifolds are good enough to use . Do you know if good re-pro's are being made ? how about the exhaust flapper ? Can you have them powder coated or will that not work ?

Member #:3217
    Even if your Nomad isn't finished, Dom, YOU (and perhaps your restorer) should register and come to Huntsville for the Convention (16-21 July 2023) at the Huntsville Space and Rocket Center Marriott. You'll see ~ 100 finished Nomads and talk to a couple of hundred owners, some who have owned their cars more than 60 yrs.. and get all your questions answered. There will also be a large NOMAD swap meet to find any parts you need, and of course the Show on Tuesday...

Have you ever joined the CNA??

Registered Member

Chevrolet Nomad Association

Quote Originally Posted by BamaNomad View Post
    Even if your Nomad isn't finished, Dom, YOU (and perhaps your restorer) should register and come to Huntsville for the Convention (16-21 July 2023) at the Huntsville Space and Rocket Center Marriott. You'll see ~ 100 finished Nomads and talk to a couple of hundred owners, some who have owned their cars more than 60 yrs.. and get all your questions answered. There will also be a large NOMAD swap meet to find any parts you need, and of course the Show on Tuesday...

Have you ever joined the CNA??
    I can remember talking to " Jhon Chamber's " about this when I gave him the vin. and body no. information on my 57 Nomad he remembered seeing it at one of these past Nomad convention's , and getting to meet the previous owner's . He keeps track of these cars, mine was built very late August 57 , he told me they were still making them into September 1957 to finish out the Nomad program . I met his good friend John at a Hershey fall meet about 5 years ago he told me he was a national judge on these cars and had a beautiful restored Black 57 Nomad with the ivory roof and the Black / Silver interior . After learning more about these cars I called him and asked how could it have a Black/Silver interior with the White roof they were all Red/Black with the white roof ? He told me that's the way the car was before restoration and that you could order " Special " combinations back then if you wanted . I went with the Black dash and Silver gauges on my 57 Turquoise w/ Ivory roof car because I felt it was just too much Turquoise looking out over the Turquoise hood . Every time I go to see the progress on the car , and look at the Black dash with the Silver gauges I am really happy with this choice , which is a good thing .
    Last edited by nomad; 06-17-2023 at 05:29 AM.

Member #:3249
    I've seen John Chambers Nomad collection...........it's VERY impressive!