Just joined? Please introduce yourself.

Thread: Wanted: 1957 Chev Firewall

Registered Member

Member #:610

Wanted: 1957 Chev Firewall

Hello,

I am interested in purchasing a section of the 1957 Chevrolet firewall ($100 for the firewall section, $50 for the shipping with tracking number and $150 insurance) that will allow me to repair the pieces cut out. I figure someone must have this laying around since it is common for trifive owners to install a smooth firewall.

Respond to this listing if you have a firewall section that you are willing to ship to me with a tracking number, and $150 insurance (just in case there is an unforeseen extenuating circumstance with the shipping/delivery). My expectation is that if you are taking me up on my offer, you will:

1) Submit pictures (to this listing) of the front and back side of the area of the firewall section you are proposing to sell me (before cutting anything) so I can visually see the condition and also give me an opportunity to ask about the condition if I have a concern.

2) I will be paying through paypal as a merchant.

Attached are of what I am needing to repair.

Pics of What I am needing to repair:

Pic of the 1957 Chev Firewall Section I need:

Thanks
    Last edited by Michaelmotorcycle; 05-09-2023 at 07:36 AM. Reason: Cannot figure out how to add pictures from my phone...

Registered Member

Bump

Member #:115
    It might help if people knew what you were looking for. Seems like finding a firewall section would be fairly easy locally but maybe it depends on where you live (nobody knows).
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by chevynut View Post
    It might help if people knew what you were looking for. Seems like finding a firewall section would be fairly easy locally but maybe it depends on where you live (nobody knows).
    Hey wsup Chevynut,

I'll update that part of my profile in a moment. In the meantime, just to address the location, I'm in Fresno, CA. Here is a pic of an entire reproduction 1957 Chevrolet firewall to help clarify what I am looking for.

I admire your work Chevynut and I'm saddened to find out you stopped your Classic Edge Designs operations. I'd like the info of the guy you sold a lot (if not all) of your jigs to if they are going to continue making the products you were offering. I'm in a better position to do more now and I'm frustrated knowing Danchuk closed the LA showroom and only sells to dealers (not the public). Looking forward to seeing you finish your 56 Nomad build.

Member #:115
    Hi Michael. I shut down the business because it just got to taking too much of my time with the Montana house project and everything else. We built two full frames early 2022 and I stopped taking orders for C4 conversion parts. I continued making Eldorado seat mounts until I ran out, then I sold the assembly jig, CAD files, and all the documentation to a former customer that bought a set. I had 3-4 guys wanting to buy the frame business but I never got serious about selling everything. One of them was the last frame customer. I wanted to sell all the jigs, CAD files, patterns, drawings, frames, suspensions, leftover parts, setup parts, and everything else except for the equipment, which I'm keeping. I would even sell the equipment if I had to and just replace it. I need to contact those guys to see if anyone is still interested. I think there's still a good market for them.

Anyway, good that you put your location in your profile.

Looking at that 57 firewall, it looks like the section you need is the same as a 55-56. That should make it easier to find that part. In fact, the stock firewall looks somewhat different in that area than the repop imo.....here's one...

Notice how the clutch hole is recessed in the repop, and not in the stock firewall?

Here's a 55-56 firewall (original one in my Nomad).

05250005.JPG

They look the same to me but I wouldn't swear that they are. It's worth checking it out since it triples your potential to find one locally.
    Last edited by chevynut; 05-11-2023 at 09:29 AM.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by chevynut View Post
    Hi Michael. I shut down the business because it just got to taking too much of my time with the Montana house project and everything else. We built two full frames early 2022 and I stopped taking orders for C4 conversion parts. I continued making Eldorado seat mounts until I ran out, then I sold the assembly jig, CAD files, and all the documentation to a former customer that bought a set. I had 3-4 guys wanting to buy the frame business but I never got serious about selling everything. One of them was the last frame customer. I wanted to sell all the jigs, CAD files, patterns, drawings, frames, suspensions, leftover parts, setup parts, and everything else except for the equipment, which I'm keeping. I would even sell the equipment if I had to and just replace it. I need to contact those guys to see if anyone is still interested. I think there's still a good market for them.

Anyway, good that you put your location in your profile.

Looking at that 57 firewall, it looks like the section you need is the same as a 55-56. That should make it easier to find that part. In fact, the stock firewall looks somewhat different in that area than the repop imo.....here's one...

Notice how the clutch hole is recessed in the repop, and not in the stock firewall?

Here's a 55-56 firewall (original one in my Nomad).

05250005.JPG

They look the same to me but I wouldn't swear that they are. It's worth checking it out since it triples your potential to find one locally.

Thanks for your insight Chevynut. I'm going to be looking into this. I'll follow up with pics of what I come across as I widen my search to include 55-57 firewall sections since the steering column mounts by several vendors (CCI, FlamingRiver, etc...) sell a product that covers some of the firewall up (significant to the cut out area) and the part sold covers the years 55-57.

Registered Member

Thanks everyone that responded. I now have the part. I will follow up once I have it installed.