Just joined? Please introduce yourself.

Thread: 1955 4 door wagon - Rusted Roof Hiinge Bolts - Upper Tailgate

Member #:5014

1955 4 door wagon - Rusted Roof Hiinge Bolts - Upper Tailgate

Experts- I'm tearing down the jewelry off the wagon in order for the body to get blasted and get in primer. I got most of the hardware off around the tailgate having to drill through rusted Phillips screws by the dozen. I'm at a point where I'm deciding what to do with the upper tailgate hinges. I know I could put the ratchet to the bolts and they would break right off. For each hinge, the forward facing bolts - I could drill through whats left and tap the hole for new bolts. But......when I break off the top 2, I imagine the only way to replace those two would be to cut holes in the roof to drill out the broken bolts forceing me into a sheetmetal patch and repair.

The hinges swing freely and are straight and square. I seek opinions. If I leave them, blast and paint them in place- do they last a while? Should I take the time now to get them out ? I don't know if they re-pop them and if they did - are the re-pops any good.

Thanks everyone for any opinions offered.

Joe
    Last edited by AMTRAKJOE; 05-27-2023 at 06:44 AM.

Member #:3217
    Repops are NEVER as good as originals, and upper liftgate hinges are generally good in original condition, although I'm speaking in particular for Nomad liftgate hinges... I haven't dealt with reg wagon liftgate hinges.

PS. I've no idea if upper liftgate hinges are available in the aftermarket.

Thanks BamaNomad. Another plus of leaving them right where they are - is that the liftgate aligns beautifully. But the rust free guys may disagree witn my strategy. It will be "rust free, blasted and primed" but not removed to perfection. I'm learning not to let perfection get in the way of "really nice".....

Member #:115
    Quote Originally Posted by AMTRAKJOE View Post
    The hinges swing freely and are straight and square. I seek opinions. If I leave them, blast and paint them in place- do they last a while? Should I take the time now to get them out ? I don't know if they re-pop them and if they did - are the re-pops any good.
    Thanks everyone for any opinions offered.Joe
    I'm not a good one to ask since I've removed every bolt and screw from my Nomad and replaced most of the hardware and probably went too far in some areas. What size are the bolts? Have you tried soaking them with penetrating oil? Are they that far gone that you think they'll snap off? If they're that weak maybe they need to come out.

If there's that much rust in the area I'd be wanting to separate the hinges from the body to make sure you get it all, or it could "seep" out from under the hinge and mess up your new paint. That's just me. I would not be inclined to cut holes in the roof, however.

Some pics might help.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

I'll visit this week and get some photos.......it's rusty and if I break off the top two - I can't think of any other way than drilling a hole through the roof to drill out the studs and tap them........ugh

Member #:3217
    Take a photo Joe... and let us see if/how a reg wagon differs from the Nomad. On a Nomad, the liftgate hinges bolt into an inner panel which is inside the roof by an inch or so. I had trouble removing one or two bolts on mine, and I sprayed it down a few days, then used a combination of Hot and Cold and screwed the broken off bolt right out. I used a cut off tool and cut a slot into the end so I could use a screwdriver on it...

Member #:3249
    The best stuff I've ever used for rusted parts is called Free All. Try it, you'll like it.

I've made a 50% acetone/transmission fluid mix and have had pretty good success that way.