Just joined? Please introduce yourself.

Thread: VIN Lists to Find Grandfather's 1956 Nomad

Registered Member

Member #:5135

VIN Lists to Find Grandfather's 1956 Nomad

Happy Memorial Day weekend to the group! I'm doing research on the Tri-Five Chevy production data in an effort to find my grandfather's 1956 Chevy Nomad. I do ont know the VIN but I found a list of date/plant ending serial numbers from DanChuk.com showing the last 6 of VIN) (tables linked below) and had a few questions.

https://www.danchuk.com/blog/?p=10419

There are only 2330 unique numbers in the 1956 table but my understanding is that 7,886 Nomads were built that year.

1) Does the 1956 table only show the final VIN produced at each assembly plant on each date?
    2) If so, do you have a complete list of every Chevy Nomad VIN from 1956 by date/plant?
    3) Are the numbers for each date sequential? For example, the Janvesville VIN for 10/4/55 is 2628 while the 10/3/55 VIN is 1814; does that mean there were 814 cars built on 10/4/55?
    4) Is the 1956 table for all Chevy models (150/210/Bel Air/Nomad) and if so, is there anyway to determine which VINs are for Nomads versus other models?
    5) My grandfather's Nomad was ivory/dusk plum (paint code 708) and purchased in the Milwaukee, Wisconsin area. Is there anyway to match the color code to a specific VIN and/or assembly plant to piece together the likely VIN for his car?
    6) Is there anyway to reverse search for VIN based on the previous owner's name (i.e., my grandfather's name)?

Thanks in advance for your help, cheers!

Registered Member

Member #:571
    1. Yes
    2. No. No one has this.
    3. Yes
    4. All models; no
    5. No.
    6. No.

I don't know if my answers a 100% correct, but at least there is now a basis for future discussion and questions.

Member #:3217
    Only knowing that your grandfather had a '56 Nomad in a specific color combo is no help in finding out it's VIN. Your best bet is to search your grandfather's registration/auto title records to find the VIN..

OR knowing which dealership your grandfather bought his car, you *might* get lucky and find that dealership kept their sales records (but this too is very unlikely, although possible).

If you have access to his records of selling or buying the car, it should provide the VIN...

Registered Member

Member #:5135
    Thanks for the replies. I'm planning on submitting a DMV driver information request for my grandfather to see if that will contain anyinformatoin about his '56 Nomad. I'm not 100% sure what dealer he bought the car from, but a good guess would be Holz Motors in Hales Corners, WI. They're hosting a big 4th of July car show so I'm hoping to chat with some of their employees to see if they might have any historical records that could help in the search. I'll post updates if I obtain any additional details, thanks again!

Member #:3217
    Good luck!