Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Considering narrowing my rear housing...

Registered Member

Member #:238

Considering narrowing my rear housing...

I'm considering narrowing the housing some more on my '56 project. My car is mini-tubbed and I'm using 15x10 wheels with a big back space and 13 inch wide tires under it.

Would narrowing the rear and using deep dish wheels make it easier to remove the rear wheels?

Registered Member

Member #:571
    Yes it would but I think the difficulty of removing the wheels/tires is overrated. All you usually need to do is to jack the car up by the center of the axle housing and put jackstands under the frame near the front spring eye on each side and let the axle drop. (That may not help if you have a roadside flat.) Now if you have coilovers with limited travel that may be another story - but usually if you have a 4 bar and coilovers you also have a narrowed axle housing.

Registered Member

Yeah, I have an Art Morrison tri 4 bar and rear sway bar, so the suspension doesn't drop much.
    My housing is only narrowed slightly because I was going for a sleeper look, but lately I've been
    thinking that I might narrow it to increase my wheel options. If narrowing made the wheels easier to get off,
    that would be a bonus.

Registered Member

Without particulars, it's hard to say.

I like a decent clearance and I do like a bit of the "deep dish" look - but it can definitely be overdone. What I don't like, this is a personal preference, is a street driven car that's intended to look like a drag race car. If you want a drag race car, just build one and take it to the track. If you want to drive it, make it a practical driving car. Just my style, I know others vary. Coming from an ex-drag racer who still goes to the races.

Member #:524
    I have a 55 with narrowed 9 inch (58 inches mounting point to mounting point) and I have to do what Rick_L describe. I have to jack the car so that the rearend will hang enough. The I have to pull the wheel from the bottom to take it out at an angle. I have a 18x10 with a 4 1/2 inch backspace with a 285x40x18 tire with no tubs just the spring pocket kit. Narrowing does not help me much and I have leaf spring, but than again the wheel wells are different yours may have a little more wiggle room.
    Last edited by BAM55; 05-10-2012 at 08:18 PM.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rick_L View Post
    Without particulars, it's hard to say.

I like a decent clearance and I do like a bit of the "deep dish" look - but it can definitely be overdone. What I don't like, this is a personal preference, is a street driven car that's intended to look like a drag race car. If you want a drag race car, just build one and take it to the track. If you want to drive it, make it a practical driving car. Just my style, I know others vary. Coming from an ex-drag racer who still goes to the races.
    I'm with ya, the Pro Street/drag car look is not my favorite.
    Im looking at 15x10 wheels with a 4.5" backspace.
    Right now I have 15x10 with a 7" backspace for a sleeper/stock look.

Bam, the wheels on your car should be much easier to get off because you've got
    a lot more brake clearance with the larger diameter rims.
    That's a big tire in stock tubs, does it ever rub?
    Your car definitely doesn't look Pro Street. Can you post a shot of the lip of the rim?
    Last edited by Geoff; 05-11-2012 at 07:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    Bam, the wheels on your car should be much easier to get off because you've got
    a lot more brake clearance with the larger diameter rims.
    That's a big tire in stock tubs, does it ever rub?
    Your car definitely doesn't look Pro Street. Can you post a shot of the lip of the rim?
    No it does not rub at all. The problem I have is my car sits low and with 18 and a wide tire I have to clear that sheetmetal. I have to take it out bottom first. Also the car was to be jacked up really high so that the rearend will hang enough. Is it worth it. Hell yes, because I like the look.lol

I will be going to a triangular 4 link soon. My buddy a 55 with a 4 link and removes the bottom bolt for the coil overs so the rearend will drop enough to remove the wheel. I also have to do that in my truck that has a 4 link. Once again worth it to me for the look.lol

If I get a flat I will just call AAA I don't run a spare anyway.lol
    I thought I may be posting to many pics and I don't want to become a nuisance.lol I love this stuff man and sometimes I get over zealous with my pics and comments.lol

Here are the same wheels I used for mock on my truck. I wanted to know if I liked 18's on the truck. I thought you can see the lip better on this truck pic.

Last edited by BAM55; 05-11-2012 at 09:12 AM.

Registered Member

BAM, I love this stuff,too, so post all the pics you want!

Those rims look nice and deep without looking too Pro Street.

One other issue I have with dropping the rear end to change a tire is that I have a rear sway bar. I can remove the shock mount on the 4 bar, but the sway bar
    still holds it in place to a certain extent.

None of this is a huge problem...... I'm just trying to justify narrowing
    the rear end.
    Last edited by Geoff; 05-11-2012 at 09:27 PM.

You can have a deep lip rim with out being prostreet. I like any style if done well but I'm not a prostreet person. I like the street rod look. I know that a street rod is 30's and 40's cars and truck but you can still have the look with a trifive.

Heres a 56 for ya

These are 17's the rear tire is a 275/50/17

Registered Member

"One other issue I have with dropping the rear end to change a tire is that I have a rear sway bar. I can remove the shock mount on the 4 bar, but the sway bar
    still holds it in place to a certain extent."

If you jack up the whole rear of the car and not just one corner, you'll minimize any effect the swaybar has.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast