Just joined? Please introduce yourself.

Thread: My 56 Nomad.....a lifelong project.

Member #:115

My 56 Nomad.....a lifelong project.

I bought my 56 Nomad in 1973 in Kansas City, shortly after a 55 sedan that I just finished building was stolen there. I found the Nomad in the local paper for $500 and drove it home. It was a complete car, but rusty in the floors and lower body for an 18 year old car, I thought. I probably should have bought a more solid car to begin with. It didn't matter, it was a 56 Nomad and I fell in love with the Nomads a few years before when I saw a kid in my high school with a 56Nomad, 396, and fenderwell headers. I was going to A&P mechanics school at the time, and also had a job so I didn't have much time to work on my car. But I started disassembling it, pulled the 265, bought a complete '68 Corvette L-71 435HP Tri-Power 427 for $400 along with a basketcase 327 and dropped it in. The 427 only had 55K miles on it.

I don't remember how I did it, but somehow I got the car back to Colorado after I graduated from school. I got a job working at the airport in Boulder, Colorado, and I tried to work on the car as much as possible. I really didn't get much done, mostly due to lack of equipment, money, and time. I did pull the frame and installed a 12-bolt rear with ladder bars I built. I decided to build a gasser out of my Nomad, since a friend of mine had a '55 gasser that I liked a lot.

A couple of years later, I moved to Wichita, Kansas, to work for Boeing. While there, I removed the frame again and began my first major frame construction project. I installed a front axle out of a '36 Plymouth, and added disc brakes that I adapted myself. I reinstalled the 427 and added a 4-speed transmission.

In 1976 I left Wichita, and moved back to Colorado to continue my education at Colorado State University. I got laid off from Boeing as was the norm in the aircraft industry, and I got tired of the ups and downs. So I decided to get my college degree, which I had always wanted to do. Somehow, I dragged the Nomad back to Colorado again. I don't even remember where I stored it, but I wasn't able to work on it for quite a while.

Finally in 1978 I bought a house with a 2-car garage, and was able to get back to work on my car. I was going to school and working full-time, so it was tough to find time. I changed my plans, and did get another frame built for it.... this time fully independent suspensions with a C3 Corvette rear and stock front end with Nova discs and heavier springs. My idea was to have the car sit higher than stock, which I still don't understand.

I painted the car in my garage by myself with acrylic lacquer, and started assembly. I thought I was well along the way to finish it. Ha!

In 1983 I got divorced, just months before I finished getting my engineering degree. I stopped working on the car months earlier, since I saw the divorce coming for a couple of years. It's a good thing I didn't finish it, or I may not have it today.

After the divorce, the car sat in storage until 1988 when I moved into my new house that I built. It sat in the garage basically untouched until 2003, when I rolled it into my new shop to work on it again. A few months prior I was at a car show and I saw a C4 Corvette with the hood up. I sat there and thought to myself....I can put a suspension like that under my Nomad! So the wheels started to turn. Not long afterward I was looking at a magazine and saw a C4 conversion done by Rick Roush, so I knew it could be done. I had already started building my C4 Corvette conversion frame when I rolled the car into the shop in 2003. It was almost ready for a trial fit of the body at that time.

Since then, I have been working on a lot more major modifications to the car that I kept thinking about. The car is a LOT higher scale car than I intended to build initially, but I'm really happy with it.

The car features a completely home-built C4 conversion seamless tri5 chassis with Aldan coilovers, 13"/12" Baer front and rear brakes, all stainless AN plumbing, a hidden electro-hydraulic brake system from ABS Power Brake, a home-built 23 gallon stainless gas tank and home-built internal pump unit.
    The drivetrain consists of a GMPP Ramjet 502 controlled by a Holley Commander 950 and using a Holley 1000 CFM 58mm throttle body, 42 lb/hr injectors, and a chrome S&P serpentine accessory drive system with A/C, power steering pump, and 140 amp alternator. The exhaust is custom fabricated from 3.5" and 3" stainless tubing and mandrel bends and includes an x-pipe, Earle Williams BBC headers, stainless magnaflow mufflers, and 3.5" DMH electric cutouts. It has a new Keisler Engineering Viper T-56 6-speed manual transmission, an 11" Centerforce DF clutch on a GMPP flywheel, custom hydraulic clutch linkage and Hurst Billet Plus shifter. This drives through a Denny's 3.5" MMC driveshaft with 1350 u-joints to the narrowed 4.10 Dana Super 44 IRS rearend.

The body was pretty solid except the floors, quarters, and rockers when I bought the car. It was completely stripped and blasted to bare metal in every square inch of the inside and outside of the body. I replaced the entire floor in the car, and fabbed and installed 4" tubs that I made to look like stock tubs as well as a custom cargo floor that eliminates the spare tire well. I replaced both quarters and both rockers. In doing the tubs, I had to widen the outer wheelwells too. I raised the transmission tunnel for the T-56. I fabbed a new firewall, an all new radiator support, grille support, inner fenders, radiator cover, and cold air intake. The under-hood braces are also custom and I filled the front splash pan. I had a custom crossflow radiator and condenser built by PRC to my design. The A/C is plumbed with AeroQuip braided stainless lines and fittings. I also made front and rear smoothie bumpers by welding 3-piece bumpers together and eliminating the guards.

Inside, I have installed 2000 Cadillac Eldorado 12-way bucket seats, and am working on fabricating a full-length console and a custom rear seat. I wired the car from scratch. It has Vintage Air, power windows, power door locks, electric hood release, keyless entry/alarm, auto-dimming mirror, retained accessory power, automatic headlights, cruise control, dual electric fans, a vss-controlled reverse lockout, level sensors for coolant and brake fluid, courtesy floor lights, and I'm still pondering the stereo system. A Flaming River steering column is topped with a Colorado custom steering wheel that turns the C4 R&P through stainless Borgeson u-joints and shaft.

Front tires are 245/45-17 and rears are 295/35-18. I have room for a 345 rear tire with the custom tubs if I choose to go wider.

The car is ready for final blocking and paint, and I have done 100% of the work on it myself so far. I'm currently building an addition to my shop so I can assemble the car in a clean area. I must have the record for having worked on the same car the longest time.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Member #:226
    NOPE, STARTED ON MINE IN 1972. First got it running and looking stock. Second build put a turbo 400 and big block, headers, 12 bolt. Third time went back to a 350 and re-paint--change color. Now, going tubular a arms, discs, re-paint--changing color again, 8.5 inch 10 bolt, new shocks, etc.

Registered Member

Member #:234
    My latest project , the 55 4dr , was overlooked in a divorce settlement too ; lucky . Your 40 year saga with the 56 Nomad makes my 24-year car affair seem like a one-night stand . I owned a 55 Nomad for a few years in my 30's and drove the shit out of it , a great car . I remember as a kid chasing a 56 Pontiac Safari wagon(Pontiac's Nomad) on foot through a campground way up North , just to get a look at it ; I think I was about 10 , and the Tri-five love affair had already bit me hard . Great story ; thanks for sharing . Be safe...Bob.

Registered Member

Member #:238
    Great story!

I just went to visit my Dad this weekend and in his storage is my '55 2dr 150 wagon that I took apart as a kid in 1979.
    He almost lost it in a divorce about 12 years ago but I saved it by having it moved. He was just going to let it go.
    In 2007 I got interested in trifives again and had the time and space to finally restore the wagon.
    He then tells me that he wants to restore it.....and it's been sitting untouched ever since.

My Mom told me I can have it whenever I want, but now I'm too busy with my '56 sedan and '55 vert projects.
    Last edited by Geoff; 05-15-2012 at 09:13 PM.

Member #:524
    Chevynut,

Great story. I'm glad you got to keep the nomad it could not have been in better hands. The work you've done on that thing is top shelf.

Member #:3
    Quote Originally Posted by BAM55 View Post
    Chevynut,

Great story. I'm glad you got to keep the nomad it could not have been in better hands. The work you've done on that thing is top shelf.
    That is a great story , how do you remember all that !! hell I cant remember what I did last week , Think I have CRS !! LOL

1955 2 DR Post
    1937 Chevy Coupe
    2023 Ford Super Duty F350 TREMOR
    2019 Corvette Z06
    1955 Chevy Nomad
    1935 Ford 2dr Slant back I have 4

Registered Member Busted Knuckles's Avatar

Member #:1491
    Great story, I look at it as it was meant to be that you own that Nomad the Chevy God's intervened to make it so. Love your metal work and attention to detail.