Just joined? Please introduce yourself.

Thread: Blown LS?

Registered Member

Member #:229

Blown LS?

Anyone have experience with a supercharged LS? In particular LS3's. I see that the new Camaro will have the LSA in it.
    bakins
    1957 Bel Air Hardtop
    C4 Suspension

Member #:226
    Lots of stuff in the magazines, stressing how much power available from the LS engines. One thing though, they don't really point out how much shorter lifespan those engines have. But, when boost goes up, engine long life does go down. If you planned appropriately (limit boost to less than 8 to 9 lbs, water cooled the boost charge, ran an oil cooler, large free flowing exhaust, turbo/engine shut off timer) I believe you'd have more power than a big block Chevy and it would live on the street. Turboed engines like automatics (no pop-off valve/back pressure issues on shifting) and a low numerically rear end gear to pull against on the street. They seem to love to "grunt" to increase car & engine speed. And with low gears, the thing should live a long time and a great top end speed. If such a set up is run, it would be better to run 2 smaller turbos to get up on boost sooner.

Member #:115
    The new ZL1 Camaro is out, and it has a 580HP LS3 in it. I sure would like to drive one. $60K at the local dealer. IMO the ZL1 Camaro should have had an LS7 in it....the ZL1 was an aluminum 427. They should have called this Camaro a Z28, imo.

If you did the same things to a BBC you would still have more power than an LS engine.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Member #:226
    Quote Originally Posted by chevynut View Post
    If you did the same things to a BBC you would still have more power than an LS engine.
    Probably, but not as much as you'd think. The LS 6.3 liter heads flow like a big block, so the only added power you would see, is the extra cubic inches, cam specks versis likewise cam specks. You'd be pulling around more piston drag with the big block too. Both could be good runners, though. Pounds of boost don't really mean much on turbo motor, it is the efficiency of stuffing that charge into the cylinders. Don't really have a comparison on how much better, if any, the BBC would let that intake charge into the cylinders. Like to see a back-to-back real life test though....same inches, same cam, LS engine vs BBC.

Registered Member

Member #:229
    I'm not really interesting in going the turbo route. Just my preference.

I haven't actually seen one of the new Camaros. Also, I'm generally several months behind on my magazine reading

I'm currently mentally choosing between a blown LS (maybe an LSA crate) and something like the Ramjet 502. I have a while before I need to decide. Laszlo set up my frame for an LS engine, but still keeping my options open.

Of course, we'll all have flying cars before I actually get ready to buy an engine
    bakins
    1957 Bel Air Hardtop
    C4 Suspension

Member #:231
    my friend is doing that right now to his 2001 camaro he running a single turbo intercooled with a new cam and set of 6.0 truck heads that i think are 315s and a bunch of other stuff i know he did alot of research before doing this it should make a lot of power hes doing it in my garage so as soon as he done with this i can get back to my c4 swap cant seem to post any pics will try to later good luck with your biuld