Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Nerd Rods chassis-DIY 1955 2DR Hardtop

Registered Member

Member #:1807
    Pictures would be great this lower strut bar has got me going crazy the one on my car came out of a running car and if you look close on my trailer there's another one, both rearends have the bars installed the same way.If at all possible I would like to see the orientation of brake caliper and the angle of the four bars when the car is near ride height
    Quote Originally Posted by Olderthandirt View Post
    My apologies, I meant no offence by my offer. I do not claim to be knowledgeable in anything. As for myself I understand thing better with visual aids.

Member #:115
    Guys, I just realized that we're talking about two different things. Jason first asked if the knuckles were in front of or behind the center section...they're BEHIND it. But the strut rods point the other way. Take a look at Nick's picture below....you can see that the halfshafts point rearward, but the strut rods point forward at the outboard end. So Jason does have them in correctly...my apologies. I guess I never looked at one from below that closely.

So now we can move on with other issues. I think the reason your lower dogbones don't line up is that your pinion angle isn't where it's supposed to be. Raise the pinion up and the dogbones should line up. If you can't raise the pinon up, it may be because your batwing brackets aren't sitting at the correct angle.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Member #:1653
    Quote Originally Posted by Olderthandirt View Post
    Would it be of any help to anyone to post pictures of a danna 44 still installed in a 86 corvette frame. I have the body cut off my corvette but the rest is in tack.
    Olderthandirt many thanks for your offer and I for one would like o see your chassis bare of body. It might lead to other good stuff like what's being developed here so please, post away!!! Thanks in advance.

Registered Member

Member #:827
    hDSCN1917.jpgDSCN1919.jpgDSCN1921.jpgDSCN1922.jpgDSCN1923.jpgHope pictures will be a help to someone.

Registered Member

Olderthandirt, Could I get you to take one more photo of the brake caliper and dog bones but this time if you be so kind to raise the half shaft up until its about level. Thank you pictures really help.

Member #:115
    Jason, don't you believe the GM drawing of the dogbone position that was posted by Nick?
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Member #:777
    test

Registered Member

I only ask because I'm not sure if the half shafts are level at ride height on a corvette, do you know?
    Quote Originally Posted by chevynut View Post
    Jason, don't you believe the GM drawing of the dogbone position that was posted by Nick?

Member #:1653
    Jason I understand your quest for knowledge. Elsewhere on this site, Chevynut posted about a C4 rear in motion. "http://www.trifivechevys.com/showthr...ension-at-work" Keep this in mind however. with coilovers you will be able to adjust to some degree what the final attitude of the suspension is. My thoughts and how I set one up may differ from the next person. Having said that I can attest to the fact that with two passengers in the vehicle the half shafts in a dozen or more that I have looked at are very close to parallel with the road surface at rest.

Registered Member

Cnut, when you say you set the front lower A-arms level are you saying you run a straightedge across the the bottom of the K member and bring the ball joints down to the straightedge
    Quote Originally Posted by chevynut View Post
    Jason, once you get the suspension bolted on, I'm curious where your axle centerlines are vertically relative to the bottom of the main frame rails. At ride height I set the lower a-arms level and the rear halfshafts level. Just curious where ride height is on that frame.

The frame we're building now is lowered from most of them we do. The front has a 3 1/2" suspension drop, and the rear a 3 1/4" drop. We had to raise the batwing in the frame, and narrow the frame rails for a narrowed Dana 44. To raise the batwing we used one from a Viper, and we fabbed completely new frame rails. It should be pretty cool when finished.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast