Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 11 of 40 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: 39 Ford Project

Member #:3217
    I also applaud Brian for his workmanship and dedication in bringing this old Ford sedan back to the world of hot rodding... .... getting closer by the day!

PS. Personally I love the coupes, but also really like the sedans due to their huge room in the back seat for family members...

Member #:2442
    Quote Originally Posted by Belair-o View Post
    Hey Brian,
    Thanks for documenting the steps along the way, it is very informative. Seeing much of the nitty gritty along the way, maybe is kind of like seeing sausage made. Some of the steps may not be pretty, but are necessary and foundational to the great end result. Nice to see your vision for the car steadily taking form. Appreciated your work with your existing tools - making them do the job you need done.
    Regards, Doug
    Thanks Doug, Appreciate the kind words and glad you have an interest is the project.
    More post to come
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by BamaNomad View Post
    I also applaud Brian for his workmanship and dedication in bringing this old Ford sedan back to the world of hot rodding... .... getting closer by the day!

PS. Personally I love the coupes, but also really like the sedans due to their huge room in the back seat for family members...
    Thanks Gary,
    It sure keeps me busy which is a good thing!!

P.S. Saw on the news today Alabama had some pretty bad weather. Hope you are doing ok.

Progress Update

I finished up on the passenger door earlier this week before moving on to some small projects around the shop (including a good clean up) that I have been putting off doing. Next week I will start on fixing the rust at the bottom of the trunk lid.

Here is the door with the braces welded back in place and the drain holes drilled in the bottom. Originally the door just had the 3 holes to the rear of the door. Hard to see in the picture but I added 2 more holes at the front of the door (left hand side in the picture)

A couple of shots with the door back in place. Looks like everything fits pretty well so time to move on. Once the weather gets consistently in the 60's around here I can get epoxy primer on this stuff.
    Brian

The door and alignment to the body both look fantastic, Brian!

Quote Originally Posted by BamaNomad View Post
    The door and alignment to the body both look fantastic, Brian!
    Thanks Gary.
    I am pretty happy with how the door fits. Pretty easy to align on this car as there is very little adjustment where the hinges bolt to the body and they are welded solid to the door itself.

Well cleaning up the shop and doing some re-organizing led to another unplanned project. I found some pieces of 3/4" thick and 3/8" thick pieces of hot rolled steel plate under one of my benches that I had forgotten about so it turned into a welding / grinding table project. I had a small metal table that came out of my late uncles garage that I had been using to stash all my metal scraps underneath for the base of the table. It was somewhat low for a decent workbench so to raise it up I added some 3" swivel caster to the 4 legs so now it will be about 34" from the floor to the top and is mobile to boot.

To keep the top as flat as possible I drilled and tapped the steel flats and drilled the table to bolt them all in place. That way I could shim them up where needed to keep them all flat. They all overhang the table by 1 1/2" as well so I have a good place to clamp things down to the table.

The two 6" wide pieces on the right and the 8" wide piece on the left are the 3/4" thick plate. The four 4" wide pieces in the middle are 3/8" thick so I welded spaces to those to bring them up to the same level as the 3/4" pieces.

Here is the finished table. When I put a straight edge across it is within .010" to .015" of being flat so should work pretty well. Finished size of the top is 21" x 35". For sure much better than what I had.
    It may be a couple more weeks before I get back to working on the 39 again though as Sunday my son and I started a project on his 59 Mercury. We will be replacing the worn out original power steering box and system with a Borgeson power box that eliminates the power assist ram and all that mess so that will be a big improvement. The hardest part of the install will be shortening the steering column a couple of inches while maintaining the column shifter. Then we will be replacing the original power brake booster and single master cylinder with a new 8" booster and dual Willwood master cylinder.
    So those projects will keep me busy for a while.
    Brian

Finally a Progress update

Wow, it's been a while since I posted any progress on this project. Late spring I spent quite a bit of time working on my son's 59 Mercury upgrading the power steering to a Borgeson box and a new brake power booster and Wilwood master cylinder and prop valve. He really needed the steering box, when I got the original box out it was completely worn out!!
    After that I worked on the 39 Ford sporadically as there was lots of other projects around the house to work on all summer.
    By early September I finally had some time to work on it again so I started by getting the passenger door and passenger rear fender in epoxy primer. They had both had all the rust and dent repairs already done so I just needed to give them a good sanding again and did a little more work with the shrinking disk where I had welded in the patches.

Here is the door ready to go mounted on my engine stand so I could paint both sides at one time.

View from the other side with the mounting system to the engine stand visible.

Door and fender painted in epoxy primer and back on the car.

Another view of the fender. Looking pretty good for not having any body filler on them yet.
    So on to the next metal repair project which will be the trunk lid.

The trunk lid is in good shape overall except for the bottom edge being pretty rusty. No factory drain holes didn't help any. I will be adding some after all the repairs are done.

A closer view of the rust. This section was the worst of it.

The outer skin was in good shape other than a few spots that rust came through.

I ended up making a patch for the center part of the outer skin only. The ends were solid yet and I didn't want to mess around with the ends and get the shape out of whack it I didn't have to.

Tacked into place.

All welded up and ground out. Up next will be the inner structure repairs. As I cut out the inner structure I will be able to hammer out this seam better, as with the inner structure still in place it is impossible to grind out the welds on the backside of the seam and planish them out.
    Brian

Update post #2

So on to the inner trunk lid repairs. Lots of rust to cut out here but just doing small sections at at time to keep from losing the proper shape of the trunk lid. Also much easier to make the patches in smaller pieces an weld them together.

First section cut out.

First patch formed up ready to tack in place. (actually the 2nd, there is a small piece in the corner already welded in place)

2nd and 3rd patch tacked in place.

Fully welded and ground smooth.

Similar patch on the opposite side all welded up and ground out.

Center area will be next. I cut out everything but the small section where the latch mounts which was still in good shape.

Next patch tacked in place. This one was the easiest of them to make. Just a fairly flat piece curved up to meet the latch mount flange.

All welded up. Now the 2 hardest piece to make as they need to curve in and up at the same time with a different radius bend on each end.

After lots of trimming and tweaking the bends ready to tack in place.

Tacked in place. I ended up with bigger gaps than I wanted in a few places but made it work. (one of the advantages of a mig welder is being able to fill gaps pretty easily with lots of small quick welds)
    Brian

Very solid work Brian! I'm liking what you're doing (and your Ford must surely like it's transformation)..

Gary

Page 11 of 40 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast