Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 23 of 36 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast

Thread: Sue's 59 Corvette project....

Registered Member

Member #:625
    Very interesting trannie mounted exhaust I will remember that one.

Registered Member

Member #:3682

Majority of steel/aluminum parts in epoxy primer

Weather was good today, into the 70s, so we gathered up most of the parts that were made over the last few months and shot them with SPI epoxy primer. The plan is to apply satin black urethane to the 29 parts this Friday. This will finish the paint work on the majority of non-body color parts.

IMG_0968.jpeg

IMG_0969.jpeg

The plan for next week is to water sand the door jambs, the deck lip, the trunk lip, the hood lip, and the firewall/inner fenders. With any luck, we'll have the body taped off and in the paint booth by that Friday. At that point, we're ready to put color/clear on these areas, just need reasonable weather for spraying.
    Last edited by TrifiveRichard; 01-02-2023 at 02:12 PM.

Member #:530
    You're gettin' close, and we're all gettin' excited to see some color on this vette.
    1957 Nomad- LS1/T56 on C4 chassis
    1959 Fleetside Apache 1/2 ton, shortbed, big window, 327ci.

Banned

Member #:2775
    My car is only covered in SPI epoxy primer and gets compliments all the time. It might just stay that way and just get sanded and repeat down the road as needed, which I've been doing a piece at a time. It doesn't cost much at all, which is even better.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by WagonCrazy View Post
    You're gettin' close, and we're all gettin' excited to see some color on this vette.
    keep your fingers crossed that we keep decent weather, Paul.
    Last edited by TrifiveRichard; 01-02-2023 at 06:11 PM.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by 55 Rescue Dog View Post
    My car is only covered in SPI epoxy primer and gets compliments all the time. It might just stay that way and just get sanded and repeat down the road as needed, which I've been doing a piece at a time. It doesn't cost much at all, which is even better.
    the 55 looks good that way, RD. I don’t think I could get away with leaving the Corvette in epoxy, LOL. Sue has her mind made up on the color!

Registered Member

Steel/aluminum parts painted satin black

The parts epoxy premiered earlier this week are now in final color, satin black. These parts include the splash aprons, bracket for the overflow tank, cold air filter box, and radiator air dam parts, among others. Also decided to paint the motor top cover the same satin black, and added it to the stack. There are still a few more parts going black, but this is the majority. Still planning on water sanding the body jambs next week in preparation for color.

IMG_0971.jpeg

IMG_0973.jpeg

In addition to painting, worked this week on harnessing motor wiring that would be hard to get at with the body on the chassis. Condensed the motor wiring going into the interior from 4 bundles to a single 5/8" bundle with one firewall hole/grommet. Worked on separating out the fuse/relay panel wiring from the ECU wiring, making it easier to mount the fuse/relay box. Connected and routed the transmission speedo and reverse switch wiring, among others. Have the gas tank fuel pump/sender wiring to extend and route yet.

IMG_0974.jpeg

The biggest bundle is yet to be addressed: the 3 ECU connector's wiring. The approximate 120 wire harness (shredded to 3 bundles) is too long, buy a couple feet. If it's left this way, it will have to be coiled and lay somewhere. I prefer to shorten it, but really don't want to splice all the wires to shorten everything. I'm thinking about buying new harness connectors (Molex at about $35/each), then the wires could be cut, shortened, run in separate bundles, and re-pinned into the new connectors. Haven't made up my mind yet.

Member #:115
    Quote Originally Posted by TrifiveRichard View Post
    I prefer to shorten it, but really don't want to splice all the wires to shorten everything. I'm thinking about buying new harness connectors (Molex at about $35/each), then the wires could be cut, shortened, run in separate bundles, and re-pinned into the new connectors. Haven't made up my mind yet.
    You shouldn't need to buy the connectors, just the contacts that go into them. I shortened some wires, eliminated some, and added some to my Holley ECM. Look at Mouser.com, they have just about every connector contact in the world. You should be able to identify the correct contact by the connector body.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Registered Member

Thanks for the info on Mouser, Laszlo. I’m thinking about getting new connectors because it seems like it would be easier to reroute and re-harness the wires and easier to keep things straight by depopulating one connector and populating another. One connector has around 70 wires.

Banned

Member #:2775
    My concern would be that another big connector that will also take up real estate, plus it's another failure point in the harness which would be in an unlikely place for troubleshooting, etc. Lots of low voltage circuits to add resistance to which could be hard to find. My PCM is mounted in the radio area of my car with a PSI harness that looks a lot like yours and plenty long. I found plenty of room near the top of the dash to give it a gentle loop.

Page 23 of 36 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast