Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A Brief History Of Sealed Beam Headlamps In The U.S.

Member #:3217
    So what is wrong with the 7" diameter Halogen bulbs for brighter output lamps? which also look *right* on our older cars? ie... such as the Hella european lamps which are supposedly at the 'bright' legal limit?
    Last edited by BamaNomad; 11-19-2018 at 07:17 AM.

Member #:516
    Well at least I don't have to polish my '55's lenses every three months!!!

Banned

Member #:2775
    Out of those pictures, the empty headlight buckets on your avatar picture of your 56 look better.
    I unsuccessfully tried to talk my best friend out of his plan to hang empty lake pipes on the sides of his prized 2005 Ford Thunderturd to give it an old school look. Trying to make a new car look old doesn't work either. It's embarrassing.
    Last edited by 55 Rescue Dog; 11-19-2018 at 08:04 AM.

Registered Member

Member #:625
    Quote Originally Posted by 55 Rescue Dog View Post
    Out of those pictures, the empty headlight buckets on your avatar picture of your 56 look better.
    I unsuccessfully tried to talk my best friend out of his plan to hang empty lake pipes on the sides of his prized 2005 Ford Thunderturd to give it an old school look. Trying to make a new car look old doesn't work either. It's embarrassing.
    I agree if you want new buy new or old school buy old school.

Registered Member

Member #:1631
    After 5 years of lurking...my first post!

I think I fall somewhere in the middle of this discussion...

I agree that modern styled replacement headlamps may look out of place on a TriFive; however, I am all for any upgrade or modification that increases headlight output and improves the nighttime driving experience. All of my older hobby cars have been upgraded with better headlights (Cibie, Hella) and relays. That being said, I will be upgrading the headlights on my 56 One-Fifty soon, and will definitely look into LED replacements, as I like the idea of NOT having to install headlight relays. The challenge will be to find high-output LED headlamps that are plug & play, but don't look too 'blingy' or out of place.
    Cheers!

Ken in SSF
    56 One-Fifty Two-Door Sedan

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by kbuhagiar View Post
    After 5 years of lurking...my first post!

I think I fall somewhere in the middle of this discussion...

I agree that modern styled replacement headlamps may look out of place on a TriFive; however, I am all for any upgrade or modification that increases headlight output and improves the nighttime driving experience. All of my older hobby cars have been upgraded with better headlights (Cibie, Hella) and relays. That being said, I will be upgrading the headlights on my 56 One-Fifty soon, and will definitely look into LED replacements, as I like the idea of NOT having to install headlight relays. The challenge will be to find high-output LED headlamps that are plug & play, but don't look too 'blingy' or out of place.
    Let us Know what you find. I started running Halogen bulbs in older vehicle's in the 80s. They were an upgrade plug & play that was not " blingy".

Banned

Member #:2775
    I've had many vehicles with sealed beams, and when well aimed, you could see everything 1/4 mile+ down the road going 70+ at night. especially with the high beams. The old foot operated headlight dimmer switch was still the best setup too. I never have liked the using the turn signal lever, except for flashing the lights.

Registered Member

Hands down the foot operated dimmer was the best setup.

Registered Member

Member #:3477
    Quote Originally Posted by chevynut View Post
    Sure they would look out of place on an "old school" tri5 with 15" Cragar wheels and balloon tires, sitting at stock height with an obsolete carburetor sticking out of the hood. But on a modern, low stance, pro-touring style build with big wheels I think they would look great. I love the front end of that Camaro in the pics above, and the headlights complement the look. They give a hint of more cool stuff underneath. Good thing we don't all like the same things or we would have never gotten out of the 60's.
    CN always bashing the non-FI folks whenever you can

Well I read your post, thought about it, declared myself obsolete and just sold my 55 to a millennial. He is going to turn it into a tiny house.

Scorp

Registered Member

Member #:1631
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Let us Know what you find. I started running Halogen bulbs in older vehicle's in the 80s. They were an upgrade plug & play that was not " blingy".
    I agree that halogens are a potential upgrade, but I have not had good luck with them; the ones I tried (Sylvanias) weren't appreciably brighter, and seemed to burn out rather quickly. After I tried the Cibies or Hellas with the replaceable elements I was hooked, and using the 55/100 watt elements gives the best low/high beam combination.
    Cheers!

Ken in SSF
    56 One-Fifty Two-Door Sedan

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast