X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 55 Rescue Dog
    Registered Member
    • Nov 2015

Post Your Favorite Easy Shop Tips!

I'll throw this one out I just freshened up. Easy to make bench vise soft jaws. Just take some scrap 1 inch aluminum angle, by 1/16 thick, cut to length, formed to top of vise, then just duct tape it. Works so much better for gripping almost anything without damage, than the steel jaws, and if you need the steel jaws, just flip them back, or peel them off if you need to heat/bend something. They last for years, and cost almost nothing!IMG_0835.JPGIMG_0836.JPGIMG_0834.JPG
    Last edited by 55 Rescue Dog; 02-06-2017, 03:51 PM.
  • 55 Rescue Dog
    Registered Member
    • Nov 2015

Another vise tip. When bolting down your vise, make sure the fixed jaw is in front of the edge of the bench so you can clamp something long. I've seen it done wrong many times. IMG_0837.JPG
    Last edited by 55 Rescue Dog; 02-06-2017, 04:33 PM.

Comment

• Rick_L
      Registered Member
      • Apr 2012

Duct tape on the aluminum jaws just gets in the way when you want to use the originals, and the adhesive makes a mess.

Comment

• 55 Rescue Dog
        Registered Member
        • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Rick_L
        Duct tape on the aluminum jaws just gets in the way when you want to use the originals, and the adhesive makes a mess.
        Thanks for that useful tip.

Comment

• chevynut
          Registered Member
          • Nov 2011

What else do you expect, RD?

If you're making something out of aluminum and need to sand it, get some beeswax and put it on your sanding or cutting discs. I use bowstring wax in a small tube that costs about $3 and goes a long ways. I just hit the tube with the rotating disc. WD40 works but it's messier and the beeswax lasts longer. You'll be amazed at how much better the cutting action is.

56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
          56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
          57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
          1962 327/340HP Corvette
          1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
          2001 Porsche Boxster S
          2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
          2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Comment

• MP&C
            Registered Member
            • Dec 2013

This one is borrowed from Laszlo,

This helps to keep the door flush, just don't push hard on the sanding block. Let the paper do the work.. If it needs additional stability, grab the rear door and b pillar in one hand, sand with the other..
            Robert

MP&C Shop Projects-Metalshaping Tutorials

Instagram @ mccartney_paint_and_custom

Comment

• 55 Rescue Dog
              Registered Member
              • Nov 2015

Whenever you need to disconnect a brake line it usually makes a mess, empties out the lines and the master cylinder which makes bleeding more difficult.
              Simply use a prop rod to depress the brake pedal part way, which blocks off the outlet ports inside the cylinder. Then all the fluid is stays in the reservoir and lines down stream. Like filling up a drinking straw with water, and it stays in the straw when you block one end with your finger. IMG_0843.JPG

Comment

• 55 Rescue Dog
                Registered Member
                • Nov 2015

If you need to mark round tubing, a stainless hose clamp works great. You can make pie-cut marks to alter the radius, or a single cut to change directions, and it helps keep the tubing cut round.
                IMG_0849.JPG

Comment

• Troy
                  Registered Member
                  • Mar 2012

Originally posted by 55 Rescue Dog
                  If you need to mark round tubing, a stainless hose clamp works great. You can make pie-cut marks to alter the radius, or a single cut to change directions, and it helps keep the tubing cut round.
                  [ATTACH]6899[/ATTACH]
                  You can also use hose clamps with holes punched through the band to clamp tube joints together then tack the tubes together through the punched holes.

Comment

• 55 Rescue Dog
                    Registered Member
                    • Nov 2015

While my wife was gone for the afternoon, I thought I would try her Roomba robot vacuum out in the garage I had just swept. I couldn't believe how much it sucked up I couldn't see. Mostly dog hair. Even goes under the car that's hard to clean. Emptied out a full bin 4 times on one charge. I just need to wipe it down, and get it back in the house before she gets home. IMG_0850.JPG

Comment

• Rick_L
                      Registered Member
                      • Apr 2012

I should have offered an alternative to the duct tape on the vise jaws.

If you're going to bend up some jaw protectors, add a tab that can be bent down to hold them in place. If you're clever enough and the vise shape allows it, make the tab make a snap fit, not requiring it to be bent each time.

There are also some reasonably priced jaw protectors out there that fit and close down on a hex shape, great for AN hose fittings.
                      Last edited by Rick_L; 02-11-2017, 06:13 PM.

Comment

• markm
                        Registered Member
                        • May 2012

Rick Speedway has magnetic backed alum jaws very reasonable price.

Comment

• Rick_L
                          Registered Member
                          • Apr 2012

Good call, are they the ones that can correctly hold the hex shapes too?

Comment

• Custer55
                            Registered Member
                            • Feb 2015

You could also use the thin business card size refrigeratormagnets glued to the home made jaw protectors. They are easy to cut to size with a scissors.
                            Brian
                            Brian,

Comment

• Belair-o
                              Registered Member
                              • Jun 2013

Originally posted by Custer55
                              You could also use the thin business card size refrigeratormagnets glued to the home made jaw protectors. They are easy to cut to size with a scissors.
                              Brian
                              Brian, Great idea - I had picked up a 1/8" aluminum angle piece from Home Depot, and was about to drill holes to epoxy super magnets into to hold the pieces on the vice, but you saved me from that unnecessary effort. Thanks!

55 Rescue Dog, thanks for the great idea of the jaw liners. I have previously imprinted the waffle pattern from my vice jaw faces into pieces I clamped in the vice. I never stopped to think of a fix, just filed the pattern off. Thanks! Doug

Comment

Working...