Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: My 55 Bare Bonz just GO-STOP-TURN Build

Banned

Member #:2775
    Quote Originally Posted by BamaNomad View Post
    I wasn't suggesting POWERING anything, just proposed the 9V battery as a means to TEST that the wires that were supposed to be HOT were hot, and the ones that were supposed to be GROUND were grounded... ie no shorts, no opens in the WIRES...

ie. BEFORE installing any Loads...
    If I didn't want to power something to verify connections, I would just use an ohmmeter and check continuity, instead of a small battery.

Member #:3217
    RD: You can do that When the full harness with all the wires is lying on a bench, but once installed into the car... not so easy since there might be 10-15 feet between the two points you want to check continuity ...

Banned

I've had to wring out wires on machine tools over 50 feet long before. Just ground one end, and check through the bundle on the other end looking for continuity to ground. Or, just rig up long test lead. A small battery could be made to work though.

Banned

Just wanted to add this previous thread about my wheel and tire choice. 275/40-17 tires on 9.5in wide wheels front and rear.

https://www.trifivechevys.com/showth...rear-for-my-55

Banned

After focusing as much time and effort working on getting my 55 on the road over the last few months, I made it happen early last August. Every 4-day project turned into 4 weeks of course but I stayed after it. The car is far from finished, but it is so much fun to drive I don't even care. Spending the winter going back over the car doing one project at a time, so the car will be ready to hit the road again this spring.
    On its maiden voyage I took my dad for a ride, since he hadn't been in a 55 since he had a new one, and I was 2 years old. This car amazes me every time I drive it. It is very quick and drives down the road better than most of the newer cars I've ever driven. I left a lot of stuff off the car to get it on the road as soon as possible since I didn't want it to turn into a 20-year project. Plus, I want to keep the car as light as I can. Weighs 3400lbs now without inner fenders, front bumper, no side windows, no heat, AC, radio, wipers, or backseat, etc.
    IMG_0379.jpgIMG_0220.jpgIMG_0950 (1).jpgIMG_0350.jpgIMG_0723.jpgIMG_0706.jpgIMG_0243.jpgIMG_0661.jpgIMG_1135.jpgIMG_0353.jpg
    Last edited by 55 Rescue Dog; 01-14-2022 at 06:28 AM.

Member #:3217
    I like it RD... Have you ever mentioned the details on the engine you used? (if so, I can't remember).. It appears to be a VORTEC engine (from the top cover).. cast iron block? aluminum heads?

and I assume since you used C4 corvette suspension that you also are using C4 brakes?? so it STOPS good?

Gary

Member #:1723
    Your car shows a lot of thought, good work, and lots of quality parts. Great ingenuity! Glad you are getting the joy of driving it. Do you figure to put the weight saving items back in later?

Registered Member

Member #:625
    Looks good like my car would with an updated suspension and drivetrain. Is that a Winters shifter, I run them in my Camaro drag cars and have a couple on shelf.

Registered Member

Member #:625
    What paint product did you use.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by BamaNomad View Post
    I like it RD... Have you ever mentioned the details on the engine you used? (if so, I can't remember).. It appears to be a VORTEC engine (from the top cover).. cast iron block? aluminum heads?

and I assume since you used C4 corvette suspension that you also are using C4 brakes?? so it STOPS good?

Gary
    Thanks. The engine is a 2005 5.3 aluminum head truck engine I bought for $1000, and a junkyard 4L60/E I paid $550 for. They both work perfect so far, with plenty of power right where you need it with a 3.45 Dana 44 C4 rear. Used the complete front/rear suspension and composite transverse front/rear springs from a 96 Grand Sport with 13in front brakes/12in rear and the quicker steering rack. Stops great using twin 7/8ths master cylinders, with a balance bar for front rear brake bias, but I'm going to try 3/4in cylinders for less pedal effort though. Very little pedal travel now even at 1200 psi.
    I wanted Corvette sized sticky tires and used matching 275/40-17 Nitto NT05 tires on the front/rear on 9.5-inch-wide AR wheels, which fit with no problem. It is so much fun blasting by newer cars on the 12+ roundabouts in town with an old 55 Chevy. It drives like a giant Corvette.
    IMG_8940.JPG
    Last edited by 55 Rescue Dog; 01-14-2022 at 11:12 AM.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast