Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Electric Auxilary Prime Fuel Pump in 55 Wagon

Registered Member

Member #:3477
    Quote Originally Posted by chevynut View Post
    What's "crap" about it? If the car is set up to use ethanol blended fuels, the only real issue is slightly lower gas mileage. It does make gasoline slightly more volatile, so that's why closed fuel systems are used. No OEMs have produced a carbureted car in decades, so the fuel manufacturers don't care about them. There are solutions to help with the problems seen with carburetors and those problems can be mitigated. Most new EFI engines will run fine with ethanol blended fuels and benefit from the higher octane and cleaner emissions. I see little or no downside. Carbureted engines are a tiny fraction of the engines in use today.....and shrinking.
    Cant help yourself CN can you?

Id still guess that carbs are still ahead of EFI in terms of representation in the collector car hobby, if you counted all running hobby cars.

BTW, NASCAR ran carbs through 2012.

So when can I expect to see an EFI weedwhacker? Seems the tiny carburated motor hates corn, and since carbs are on the way out.....
    Last edited by scorpion1110; 07-07-2019 at 05:39 PM. Reason: add

Registered Member

Member #:571
    Got news for you Scorp and CN, they sell nonethanol fuel by the quart premixed with 2 stroke oil at any place you can buy a weedeater or other 2 stroke lawn equipment. Rather expensive if you do lawn care for a living or have acreage but not too bad for the typical homeowner.

The ethanol fuel plays hell with the average homeowner's two stroke engines. Maybe not quite so bad for the landscapers and tree trimmers since they use their stuff every day.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rick_L View Post
    Got news for you Scorp and CN, they sell nonethanol fuel by the quart premixed with 2 stroke oil at any place you can buy a weedeater or other 2 stroke lawn equipment. Rather expensive if you do lawn care for a living or have acreage but not too bad for the typical homeowner.

The ethanol fuel plays hell with the average homeowner's two stroke engines. Maybe not quite so bad for the landscapers and tree trimmers since they use their stuff every day.
    Sure do and real gas too w/o oil. Whats it about $15/gallon? More expensive than Cam2.

BTW, even draining that Ethanol junk and purging the carb doesnt always get the corn gum out of the mini carb on my snowblower. Purged it and still had to pull the carb apart to get it to run.

Registered Member

Member #:3360
    I buy the VP fuel that's pre-mixed for the two strokes and the shelf life is 2yr+ and have never had a problem with the weed and blowers.

Member #:115
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick_L View Post
    Got news for you Scorp and CN, they sell nonethanol fuel by the quart premixed with 2 stroke oil at any place you can buy a weedeater or other 2 stroke lawn equipment.
    Yes, there are alternatives for people that still have small equipment with carbs. Those are going by the wayside too. I see Stihl and many others are selling chainsaws, weedeaters, and mowers with electric motors.

I've never had a problem with it. Both my ATVs, my JD riding mower, my chainsaw, and my weedeater all use it. They all sit all winter with fuel in them and I've never had a problem with any of them. I rebuilt my ATV carb a while ago that I've had for 15 years and it was clean inside. Newer equipment is made to use ethanol-blended fuel.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Member #:115
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpion1110 View Post
    Cant help yourself CN can you?
    Just stating facts, scorp.

Id still guess that carbs are still ahead of EFI in terms of representation in the collector car hobby, if you counted all running hobby cars.
    Perhaps, but "hobby cars" represent a teeny, tiny fraction of the cars on the roads. And since they're driven so little they have very little influence on decisions made by gasoline refiners or lawmakers. It's easier than ever to replace a carb with EFI nowadays.....and cheaper than ever.

BTW, NASCAR ran carbs through 2012.
    Then what happened? That was 7 years ago.

So when can I expect to see an EFI weedwhacker? Seems the tiny carburated motor hates corn, and since carbs are on the way out.....
    Lots of ATVs now have EFI. Stihl makes an EFI chainsaw. Lawn mowers have EFI now. For things like trimmers, it's likely electric power will overtake gas power, imo. Carbs are relics of the past.

https://www.stihl.com/STIHL-power-to...1/MS-500i.aspx

https://www.cubcadet.com/equipment/c...injection.html

EFI for small engines....

https://opereviews.com/news/the-adva...small-engines/
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Registered Member

Member #:625
    Local Renegade Fuel dealer sells Hot Rod 93 without corn crap for 4.95 a gallon. That is my new plan, was using $8 gallon 110 in lawn equip and chain saws 50/50 with 91 pump.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by chevynut View Post
    Just stating facts, scorp.

Perhaps, but "hobby cars" represent a teeny, tiny fraction of the cars on the roads. And since they're driven so little they have very little influence on decisions made by gasoline refiners or lawmakers. It's easier than ever to replace a carb with EFI nowadays.....and cheaper than ever.

Then what happened? That was 7 years ago.

Lots of ATVs now have EFI. Stihl makes an EFI chainsaw. Lawn mowers have EFI now. For things like trimmers, it's likely electric power will overtake gas power, imo. Carbs are relics of the past.

https://www.stihl.com/STIHL-power-to...1/MS-500i.aspx

https://www.cubcadet.com/equipment/c...injection.html

EFI for small engines....

https://opereviews.com/news/the-adva...small-engines/
    CN-

Lets get real.

I have watched your Nomad build thread. I can honestly say I like much of what you have done, and dislike alot as well. Do you know what I dont like?

Nope, because I respect what you are building and what you are running. Just like I appreciate and respect that Sid is running a BBC with a carb on top of his intake with a great old-school look.

I appreciate that you are a smart guy with ideas and opinions, however you seem to incessantly bash those ideas or trends that you dont share. And thats not necessary.

Great that you like, 17s, 18s and 19s. I dont. And thats ok. Great that you like EFI. I am not interested in it. Great that you like stepper motors. I could care less.

Thats what the old car hobby is about- different ideas. Different builds.

OK, you dont like carbs. I run two of them.

I posted that thread, hoping you might comment with an idea about plumbing the fuel lines, instead you take the opportunity to go to the pulpit and bash carbuerated induction again.

If you want people and ideas on this site, relax the bashing, gentle or not. Because frankly you do it too often, and you don't need to.

Scorp

Registered Member

Member #:625
    Corn Gas fucked up the injectors on a buddy of mines kids injected Camaro and trashed the Gas tank and fuel pump too. Way more expensive than a carb kit.

Registered Member

Member #:571
    Let me let you in on a secret. "Corn gas" can screw up the fuel pump and gas tank on a carb'd setup too, as well as the carb. You have to deal with this no matter what you have.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast