Member #:2442
    Quote Originally Posted by TrifiveRichard View Post
    It’s looking great ,Brian. Nice work!
    Quote Originally Posted by Belair-o View Post
    Shazaam! Great work, great results!
    Thanks guys!

Progress update

This past week I continued on welding all the trunk panels in place and finished it all up today.

All the welding done at this point and the weld seams ground out on the rearmost area. I bought some 3M cubitron 36 grit discs locally to try them out as I have heard they work well and last much longer than the cheap swap meet dics. They are not cheap but they do work nice so I ordered a box of 60 grit 2" discs online as the local auto parts store only had the 36 grit.

And the front part of the trunk floor all welded up and ready to grind out the welds. Now I remember why I put off welding up this area. It was not fun working around the braces behind the rear seat or over the the gas tank area to get in a decent position to see what I was doing. Glad that is done now!

When sanding everything out I had a slight oil can issue when I would put my weight on the highest panel over the gas tank, and a low spot at the weld seam below that. I took care of both of those issues with some torch shrinking on the weld seam between the 2 panels, and then using my shrinking disc to smooth things out a bit better. The oil can is gone now and the low spot will need less than 1/16" of filler to get it flat now, although I may not worry about it as it will be hidden behind the brace I cut out that the trunk latch will bolt to.

So with that done the next project will be getting the trunk to fit better and repairing the rain gutter/weather strip gutter around the trunk opening. In this picture you can see how the trunk is low to the body in the corner and high compared to the body in the middle below the rear window.

Another view of the fit. Probably doesn't look as bad in the pictures as it does in person.

And here is the rust damage in the rain gutter area that will need to be repaired. I have an idea how to make replacement pieces for this area. Hopefully it will work.

Another view of the damage. This was a very bad design by Ford in this area as the weather stripping sits in this channel which basically traps any water that gets in. Not a good plan.

With the trunk removed I started on making a template of the trunk opening shape. Using a piece of 20 gauge bent into a 90 and using the stretcher / shrinker to get the correct shape. Once done this will serve 2 purposes, number one being making sure the shape of the body doesn't change when repairing the gutter area, and number two being a guide to make the trunk fit the body opening.

And a view of the template from the top side. Very tedious piece to make as it's very easy to over stretch or over shrink. It's getting there though and I think it will be worth the effort in the end to make sure everything fits right in the end.
    Brian

Member #:1723
    Hi Brian,
    WOW! That trunk looks fabulous!
    Thanks for posting all the advances you are making!
    Regards, Doug

Member #:530
    That is alot of work, but we're enjoying you explaining your rationale on how you're going about it. Good for me to soak this in as I contemplate some more metal work on my Nomad.
    1957 Nomad- LS1/T56 on C4 chassis
    1959 Fleetside Apache 1/2 ton, shortbed, big window, 327ci.

Quote Originally Posted by Belair-o View Post
    Hi Brian,
    WOW! That trunk looks fabulous!
    Thanks for posting all the advances you are making!
    Regards, Doug
    Thanks Doug
    I am pretty happy about the way it turned out

Quote Originally Posted by WagonCrazy View Post
    That is alot of work, but we're enjoying you explaining your rationale on how you're going about it. Good for me to soak this in as I contemplate some more metal work on my Nomad.
    Thanks,
    Glad you are enjoying the updates, there will be plenty more to come.

_

Progress update

This week I worked on the trunk gutter in the hinge area. I wanted this to be solidly repaired before trying to get the trunk lid to fit better.

I had intended to make the template to go from one side of the trunk opening to the other but decided to just make it to the middle for now since I would be repairing the gutter area in 3 pieces anyway.

To start with I cut a piece of 18 gauge to width and then bent it to match the dimensions of the original gutters.

Then using my stretcher and shrinker I formed it to fit the shape of the left side trunk opening. I left the piece a little big on the top edge to make it easier to tell when the shape was correct. I also used the trunk hinges to help hold the new gutter piece in the correct position.

With the shape pretty good I trimmed about and 1/8" off the top of the replacement piece and clamped it in place on the trunk hinge and then scribed a line on the trunk opening to trim back to so I would have a nice tight fit for welding it in place.

And tack welded in place. After checking with my template nothing had moved at all so I decided to do the other side without making the template for the passenger side.

Passenger side formed and fitted up to weld in place.

Center piece formed up and clamped in place ready to tack weld in place. This was by far the easiest of the 3 to make as it just has a slight curve to it.

All tack welded in place.

And finally with all the tack welds ground flat and the joints between the 3 pieces fully welded and ground out. Also at this point I have the original trunk hinge bolts back in the new gutter to hold everything solidly in place to fit up the trunk lid. I still need to finish the weld seam at the body to gutter. The plan is to do this after the gutters have been replaced on the sides and at the bottom trunk opening. Hopefully there will be less chance of distortion with everything tack welded in place every half inch or so before fully welding any of the seams.
    Brian

Member #:3217
    *Adding "Metal Master" to the list of Brian's accomplishments!!

Registered Member

Member #:3360
    Amen

Quote Originally Posted by BamaNomad View Post
    *Adding "Metal Master" to the list of Brian's accomplishments!!
    Quote Originally Posted by bigblock View Post
    Amen
    Thanks guys, far from being a metal master though, but I'm learning as I go.

Page 30 of 40 FirstFirst ... 202829303132 ... LastLast