Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fender skirt patch panels overlap vs butt weld

Registered Member

Member #:2425
    Sorry I didn't know that questions were so closely scrutinized especially by those not used to doing so
    Yes it is the fender skirt support.
    Yes I figured out they were spot welded to the upper fender support and the door edge return on the fender.

Member #:2017
    56-57 skirts seen on FB Marketplace today...

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/3222357354539970/?ref=browse_tab&referral_code=undefined

Sorry for scrutinizing your questions, but adding pictures helps and adding multiple pictures of the what, where, and how, help even more.... If someone can see what you see, it adds to the exchange to insure you get a concise answer. Thanks!
    Robert

MP&C Shop Projects-Metalshaping Tutorials

Instagram @ mccartney_paint_and_custom

Registered Member

Here are some additional pics. Though it was figured out 9B7AC833-AB63-4C8C-B6A6-29B71AEDC2C7.jpegD2523A4A-DCFF-4CCD-AB04-CE9101F8C708.jpeg. Do you know if the rag seal for along the interior wheel well is available. 411B48E3-D628-4229-87A8-64EC7144BD89.jpeg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Member #:3217
    barnwagon: Most folks just cut out the rusty portions and weld in good pieces to replace them, rather than attempting to replace the entire original piece. In fact, you could probably 'make' the lower inner reinforcement piece if it's not available, and I know the lower fender section is available.

Referring to that part as a 'fender skirt' totally confused 99% of folks, greatly eliminating possibly great feedback you may have gotten. I would refer to it as an inner reinforcement panel for the back end of the FRONT fender, although I'm sure there's a 'chevrolet term' for it somewhere. Most parts on cars (especially older cars) have a dozen different 'names' that various people use, and that is why a PHOTO is almost necessary when you are referencing a part on your car...

Registered Member

Member #:571
    After scrutinizing a lot, I'm still confused.

barnwagon, did it occur to you that the scrutiny was because these guys are trying to help you?

Registered Member

Member #:4406
    Ol'55 (East Coast Chevy) in Doylestown, PA carries what they call "A" arm dust seals. For 55&56 pn 23-164, and for 57, p/n23-166

Registered Member

the help is appreciated.
    The only suggestion I might make is for those applying vinegar instead of honey as it will surely deter those from participating if the responses are as caustic as some. Learning how to post the pics and how to size them takes some practice. some patience is in order.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by HILLBILLY823 View Post
    Ol'55 (East Coast Chevy) in Doylestown, PA carries what they call "A" arm dust seals. For 55&56 pn 23-164, and for 57, p/n23-166
    I appreciate the info and the proper name so that the confusion is eliminated.

Member #:3217
    Note: Most (or all?) of the available reproduction 'A Arm dust shields' are NOT made like the originals (with fabric reinforcement), instead are just cut out pieces of rubber. There are sources for cloth-fabric reinforced rubber much more similar to the original dust shields, IF you want to go the trouble to be *more original* and make your own.

Registered Member

thanks
    Yes I don't think i'd want to go through all the trouble of installing only sheet rubber
    I will locate the reinforced material and fab them.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12